Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall
Hello everyone.

I'm posting here because i'm looking for some help in troubleshooting my build !

It's a madbean lavache, as posted here

The problem i've got with it is when the pedal is engaged, i've got a low input guitar sound (I must put my amp, a Classic 30 to 12 to have juste a piece of sound), and i've got a really annoying buzz sound, which I can't relate to something.

I've checked the board, as it's pretty small, I can't see where I messed on the board, and my offboard wiring too which is not that hard.

I don't have a multimeter on my hand, but could it be a faulty component ?

I'm sending you sound of the record :

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1HeTs1l9D1I

You can hear the loud noise, which covers the signal.

I can't take clear pictures of the board, that why I did not send pictures of it.

But my pots and switch all works well

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

PMowdes

Sounds to me like you have supply voltage leaking into the signal path somewhere.

Run a knife or a narrow saw between the tracks to make sure nothing is bridged, ad check your component placement.

Without pictures if the board it's hard to say for sure

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall

I've overlooked the tracks with a magnificent glass, and used a cutter to dig and break any possible bridge, but nothing different.

I've socketed the transistor and 4 diodes (Mid part of the BAT socket is not linked to the board)

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

Emil
Hi!

I'm not sure, but maybe there's something with your wiring? For example the boost-switch? Is Boost 1 connected to row three?

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall
Nop, my boost is a DPDT and Row are marked on the switch side.

I did a whole new board with sockets and new diodes/transistor, results is the same, and the board is clean.

I just can't put my finger on where's the problem, I'm gonna do it after my exams, I don't have much time right now.

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

moda
5 holes in from the left. Rows 5 and 6. Are they component legs (more to the point socket pins ) not soldered or is that a trick of the light?

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall
It's a trick of light, I did a new board the problem remains.

I guess it's an offboard wiring problem then.

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall
Hello,

I've got some new info that I hope can help.

I've got huge voltage drop on the board, as only the first row (The row with the 9v entry on the layout).

The 1st row : 8,95
The 2nd row : 6,27 volt
The 3rd row : 0 volt on both side of the cut
The 4th row : 6,27 volt
The 5th row : 0,78 volt
The 6th row : 0,26 volt

And the rest don't get any single volt in.

I've checked every component and no one is fried, and as I said i've overlooked the tracks with a magnificient glass and broke any potential bridge with a knife.

So I'm really lost right now, as it seems to be a board problem and not an offboard one (Or I may have failed my ground wiring?)

I hope that my message is understable, it's really hard for a non native english speaker to explain board problem

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

BetterOffShred
It looks like one of your links doesn't go all the way to the bottom row.. ?
Edit:  Ah I see you left an extra row at the bottom.

Sounds basic, but make sure your input and output jacks are wired correctly and you have them plugged in to the right spots :P   I get drunk and plug into the wrong ones or solder the hot to the ground or something dumb sometimes,   it happens!
-Brett

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

MojoTrwall
I'm pretty sure that I don't have any input/output wiring problem as I've got my signal going through the pedal when it's off.

But I can't put my finger on the problem.

Re: Troubleshooting a noisy madbean lavache

BetterOffShred
Did you try it with some 914 diodes just to see if maybe one of them is more drop than advertised?