True Bypass

pyreweb
Hello, I am hoping to make a true bypass looping system for my existing pedals. I am wondering if it is best to bypass just the live wire, or whether I should bypass the ground as well. I had thought that bypassing both would be best, so that there is no hardwire connection at all between the input/output cables and the pedal itself when in bypass mode, but this would leave the pedal ungrounded, which might be bad for it. This could be a very basic mistake; would it be ok to point me in the right direction please? Thank you.

Re: True Bypass

nocentelli
This post was updated on .
You only need to switch the live/signal/tip connection: The ground to all pedals in each loop will usually remain connected via the enclosure anyway. Disconnecting the input and output to each loop whilst leaving the grounds connected is usually very quiet, but if you have extremely high gain pedals in the loops, you could wire each bypass switch to ground the inputs to the loop pedals (search for "grounded input bypass).