Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

Sensei Tim
First try on bare aluminum.

Next try will have a white primer base coat applied first.

Re: Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

Silver Blues
Oh that looks so good.

Re: Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

Pavlos
Hey Tim that has got me thinking..........all this paint swirling stuff kinda reminds me of the craft stuff my daughter used to do when she was kid, she mostly used to make cards with my late mum but there seems to be quite a lot of those 'craft' techniques that might be useful for getting creative with finishing encosures. Apart from the the usual glitter and jewel type of bling you'd expect there were also loads of 'effect' pens, gels, heat sensitive/reactive powders (Used with a small heat gun) and a whole load of other odd stuff that they used to get some really impressive results with. All long gone now but if anyone has any family members who are into arts or crafts it might be worth having a nosey at what they have and raiding their supples, there are also loads of tutorial videos on youtube to show how it' all done (Used to lose mum for hours watching them)

no idea if this is of any use but for the more visually artistic among us it could make a good alternative/addition to the more usual painting and decals

And on a similar thought, regarding control knobs, they may not be expensive but has anyone tried to make their own? I've seen mention of 3D printing in a few places but it's still rather expensive , but there is also resin casting? and polymer clay (Fimo etc, kids and crafts do sometimes provide some crazy inspiration) seems that making silicone moulds is pretty easy and cheap (Agin youtube is your friend) so making your own unique control knobs could well be possible too?

Be interesting to hear anyones thoughts and experiences with this

Re: Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

balazs.bencs
Haha I just got this spray paint the other day too, look at it:

Re: Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

Pavlos
box of rock........stone grey distortion? looks really good though, hopefully you''ll post pics of the finished pedal looks like the 'stone effect' spray paint you can get in places like B&Q here in UK? I expect any labels could prove to be a bit of challenge though perhaps small plaques for each control fixed with epoxy resin or similar???

Re: Trying out my Christmas present to myself...

HamishR
Or learn stone masonry.