Tubescreamer Problem

ichilton
Hi,

I used a Tubescreamer PCB (which i've successfully built before so the layout works) to build a Signa Drive, as it's the same layout just different component values.

When I tested it though, it's really quiet and really tinny.

The knobs all seemed to work, but it was like you were listening to it over the phone and on hands free or something.

Any ideas where to start debugging?

It was so extreme, I thought it should be a pretty obvious symptom of something - like something missing or being the wrong way.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Tubescreamer Problem

Madferret
When I've had similar problems it almost always turns out that I've somehow lost the ability to read and put an incorrect value of resistor in somewhere. If it's too tinny then I would suggest it's somewhere there's a low pass filter (resistor followed by a capacitor going to ground), it could of course be an incorrect cap value too but for me at least it usually turns out to be a resistor.

Re: Tubescreamer Problem

ichilton
Thanks - it just seemed a bit extreme to be a wrong component - it's not that it was just too tinny, it was really really quiet and thin, like it wasn't being amplified or something....

I maybe should try changing the op-amp first incase that's not working...

Ian