Two Indicator LEDs instead of one - question

Two Indicator LEDs instead of one - question

tracer03
I'm looking at building a pedal for a friend that has two red indicator leds instead of one ( the graphic will be a waterslide pic of him from 'back in the day', and the leds will be his 'eyes'...).

I'm guessing I could wire the LEDs in series, but would I need a CLR for each LED, or would I use just one? And what value(s) would the resistor(s) be?

Re: Two Indicator LEDs instead of one - question

Beaker
So the LEDs will be quite close to each other?

If so this is easy, but wire them in parallel, not in series. simply twist the two positive (long) legs of the LEDs together, then solder them. Then do the same to the two negative (short) legs.

Finally solder a + wire to the positive legs and a - wire to negative legs and connect as usual.

Use just one current limiting resistor of your usual preferred value.

Re: Two Indicator LEDs instead of one - question

tracer03
Beaker wrote
So the LEDs will be quite close to each other?
Yes, like on the Heavy Electronics Red Eyes - except without the 'throb' that the Red Eyes does when you play. Just on or off.

Beaker wrote
If so this is easy, but wire them in parallel, not in series. simply twist the two positive (long) legs of the LEDs together, then solder them. Then do the same to the two negative (short) legs.

Finally solder a + wire to the positive legs and a - wire to negative legs and connect as usual.

Use just one current limiting resistor of your usual preferred value.
Awesome, thanks very much!

Re: Two Indicator LEDs instead of one - question

follow what beaker said and you'll be fine and get what you want. the pedal you posted a link about the eyes flicker with your playing because they're clipping diodes that have been exposed.