Two switchable gain pots?

Fredrik Fencke
This post was updated on .
I don't know if this is a good or a bad idea, but it's something I'd like to try.
Is there an easy way to a add a second gain pot to a circuit, and a switch to select between the two? I guess, if you want LED:s to indicate which pot is currently active, you'll need a 3PDT switch?

I'm thinking of the Way Huge Red Llama, because it sounds phenomenal on both low and higher gain settings. Is it as simple as wiring the lugs of the each gain knobs to opposite sides of the switch, and the middle lugs of the switch to the strip board? Or am I completely off?

Like this?

EDIT:
That's not how you spell llama, stupid...

Re: Two switchable gain pots?

nocentelli
It's a fine idea, but not the way you have it in the diagram: It might just be the way you've sketched the lugs, but if the lugs are numbered thusly when they are horizontally aligned:

...then the two throws of the switch connect either lugs
1+4, 2+5, 3+6 or
4+7, 5+8, 6+9

Your arrangement to will switch between shorting the common gain control connections (and both pots) and leaving them all open circuit.

You need to use lugs 4 and 5 as the common gain control connections and have the two wires from the first pot connected to 1 and 2 and the other pot hooked up to lug 7 and 8. Lugs 3, 6 and 9 will be the LED-switching pole, and you could use either two separate LEDs or a single bicolour to indicate which pot was active.

I'll knock up a diagram when I get on the laptop if you like.

Re: Two switchable gain pots?

Fredrik Fencke
Thanks, man - I appreciate it! I'm not really sure I follow though... If you have the switch mounted so lug 1 is in the upper left corner and lug 9 in the bottom right, lug 2+3 on the first gain knob (let's call it Drive A) will connect to 1 on the 3PDT and 2+3 on Drive B will connect to lug 7? And lug 4 on the 3PDT will connect to the stripboard?

Re: Two switchable gain pots?

nocentelli
That's it. Lugs on such a switch are usually drawn as rectangles rather than squares so there is no ambiguity as to the alignment of the switch.