Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

JaviCAP
Administrator
After building several octave pedals, finally I gave a try to the Tycobrahe Octavia, and holy shit, I've never tried something like this.

The Mxr Blue Box is  very funny, the Roger Mayer Octavia is really great, but the Tycobrahe is just unbeliable!

Being the most simple one, is hard to believe the sound you get from this tiny  board. Just 23 parts and two pots, a half an hour build, to get to the sound's heaven!

Mark, another board you can publish now!

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

I've wanted to do this for a while, but the only thing that has stopped me is that I know absolutely nothing about the transformers and so am not sure about dimensions, how they connect or anything.  What did you use?  If you can let me know I'll do my customary too-late-layout for you

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

adstrum
I'm guessing that the original required an audio transformer with an impedance ratio of 3. Most of the schematics I found suggested a 42TM002, which had a ratio of 5. Others specified a 42TU011 which matches the spec.

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

peeps
You can lift a diode on a spdt switch for a straight fuzz/octave option.  For me, the most useful octave fuzz is the Foxx tone machine (Fender blender and Ampeg scrambler would be next).  For some reason I never boxed the tycobrahe.  You make me want to dig it out and reevaluate...

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

JaviCAP
This was the first time for me using a little trafo, so  had to trust Harald's layout and spacing :P

His layout is based on the Fuzzcentral one, negative version, would like to link but the web seems not available right now.

Using the recommend transformer, TM022, you need 5x5 holes for the connections but for a "confortable" fit,  a 7x7 is more than welcome.

I've seen on many sites that the TM011 works too great, and there are not audible differences. Don't really know as I used the 022. Will try with the 011 on future builds (both available in Musikding at reasonable price), but it seems bigger than the 022, so the 7x7 would be not enough.

BR

I needed about a 9 x 6 space for these transformers.  Some have big tabs on the side.  I made a Bronx cheer layout recently (great pedal with some tweaks by the way) & had to place the transformer on the board a few times before finalizing the layout.

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

JaviCAP
An finally boxed, Milkit's enclosures seem made on purpose for this pedal:

Pedal:

Guts:

Hope you like it!

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

Awesome build!

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

JaviCAP
Administrator
Thanks Mark :)

Now I'm thinking how to fit the Mutron III, it's going to be hard even in a Milkit's enclosure, damned rotary switches!

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

alex.s
Looks great!
What kind of label did you use for it? Have you painted the top pink or is it one big pink label?

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

Milkit
Looks fit Javi, mmmm!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Tycobrahe Octavia: The holy grial

JaviCAP
Thanks Alex & Milkit.

Alex: The front of the box is painted, but just the borders. The most you see is a big white waterslide decal printed in the same colour (7x21cm)

BR.