Velvet fu##

crw414
Hi everyone,
I have been watching the freestompboxes thread waiting eagerly for a layout . Once it was traced it turned out to be 2 types of fuzz boost into a plexi drive circuit. With the help of a couple of people through the thread , http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22737&start=60, I've created a layout of the boost section with added levels for both . It could be made as a stand alone pedal with a true bypass switch and a footswitch between the 2 fuzzes. Might make for some interesting experiments using this to push a paisley drive or black 65 instead of just the plexi.
It's not verified yet as I need to wait for parts, but the circuit as a whole was verified in the thread.If anyone wants to have a go let me know if it works , and maybe we can come up with a cool name as well.velvet_fu##_with_levels.png

Re: Velvet fu##

crw414
I forgot to mention this was my first layout , so be gentle I'm still trying to get my head around all this , but it's good to be able to contribute seeing as I've been able to build pedals I could not normally afford or find thanks to this site. thanks Guys.

Re: Velvet fu##

ana konda
Why isn't that 100n cap connected to anything on the last row?

Re: Velvet fu##

crw414
Thanks for spotting that  I missed that when I removed some resistors and added outputs to the level pots , I'll update the layout as soon as I get time.

Re: Velvet fu##

crw414
Here is my v1.1 layout . I've included a jumper to connect the errant capacitor, I also moved the 1k input resisitor from the plexi side to the fuzz output so when the fuzz is bypassed it has no effect on the plexi circuit.Hopefully it's right now and  I can verify this weekend , might box it by itself depending on how it sounds or maybe in a 1590bb and have the fuzz as a boost that can be used by itself or with the plexi circuitvelvet_fu##_v11.png

Re: Velvet fu##

ana konda
Well that's one way to hack it.
Without any connections to pin 1, i would have a cut there and moved the 100nf cap to the upper left part of the board to save a row.
Let us know if it works out!

Re: Velvet fu##

crw414
ana konda wrote
Well that's one way to hack it.
Ha Ha , I agree not the most elegant solution , but it works . I verified it this morning and posted some observations on freestompboxes
I can now say that my boost only vero is verified. Now for some observations. Take it as you will I don't have any other fuzz to compare to and I haven't explored it's setting fully
1 . Small amount of noise probably caused by not being boxed so shouldn't be an issue [ ymmv ]
2 . I used Mpsa18 instead of 2089 and that side has some fuzz on it's own and a huge bottom end ,noticeably bigger than the 386 side when using boost on it's own. The difference is less when stacking with another circuit.the 386 side sounds more like an overdrive on it's own to me.
3 . Seems to be a small volume drop when pushed into another pedal . Happens with both sides of the circuit , it's not huge and is easily fixed by increasing other pedals volume.
4. Using the levels seems to function similar to a guitar volume knob . As you turn down it becomes less wooly but I don't think the fuzz really changes much.
5 . It works well with other pedals , I stacked it into my black 65 and liked it a lot , the fuzz seemed to have a little more bite.I also used my boiling point on the LED side and that too worked well.
6. The gain knob on whichever pedal you stack into has a big effect on how overpowering the fuzz can be. I managed to get the plexi drive to sound like it had a slight dirty boost more than a fuzz with a few tweaks.
7. If you were to use the boost as a pedal on it's own it would benefit I think from some sort of eq.
8 . I did connect the switch so the opposite input is grounded and I didn't have any noticeable issues , but I am only playing at loud bedroom volume.
It also adds a heap of sustain , very useful for lead playing.
I'm still unsure how to box it up , so I'll be experimenting a lot more before I decide. I am leaning towards boxing it in a 1590bb with the plexi circuit and wire it so it can be used with or without it so I can stack it with other pedals too and put the tight/fat selector on a foot switch.
I also found an incorrectly labelled  capacitor on my layout which is also fixed.velvet_fu##_boost_sectionv1.1.png

Re: Velvet fu##

jalmonsalmon
Nice work, I have been looking at this thread and the orig posting from FSB with interest!

I will give it a shot and pair it with one of these:

plexidriver w trimmers

Will keep you posted!  I am backed up on pedals for gifts and such so it will be a while before I can do this one...

thanks again!

Re: Velvet fu##

crw414

Good luck , I finished mine recently  with  plexi and fuzz boost  together or separately and a stomp to select the fuzz type.

Re: Velvet fu##

Nice job and thanks for sharing

Re: Velvet fu##

Strassercaster1