Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

nonost
Hi. I'm going to build a phono preamp that requires a bipolar supply so I'm building this easy daughterboard:

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/01/bipolar-voltage-converter.html

The phono preamp needs 12v so I was thinking about using a pair of 12v voltage regulators (78L12 and 79L12). The question is: Do I need to add a 10uf (or something like that) at the output to ground of each regulator?

Thanks!

Re: Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

amsterdam
You may not NEED it, but yes that would be good practice to add those caps for stability.  Beware of the pinout of the 79L12 and polarity of the associated caps.

Re: Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

nonost
Ok. For the 79L12 you would put the negative side of the capacitor to the regulator output and the positive side of the cap to ground?

Thanks :)

Re: Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

amsterdam
correct!

Re: Voltage regulator.78L12. Output electrolytic cap?

nonost
This post was updated on .
Great! Would it be beneficial if increase the value of the 10uf caps?

Thanks!