Wampler - Hotwired vs 1. HELP! Im over my head

Wampler - Hotwired vs 1. HELP! Im over my head

myonus666
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

Ive made the board twice,  and still get nothing.  I have to be doing something wrong. If not multiple things :(

Question 1:  Does the polarity on the diodes and (2) polar caps when I see the - symbol that represents the cathode of the diode and the negative side of the cap correct?

Question 2:  should the 4 leds that are on the board "light" up when this pedal is correct? (currently only 1 red led lights up)  also-  the flat side of the LED indicates that this is also the cathode side (-) side of the LED correct?

Question 3:  have there been any experiences with the 4580DD that may be glitch?  I have 5 of these.  and gone through 2-  should I keep swapping them out to see if that's the problem??

Question 4:  Ive followed the dual off board wiring to the letter.  And seem to get good results,  in bypass mode,   and good LED response.  I changed the LEDS to a superbright cool white (18ma/ 3-4v) ,  and using a 470 ohm resistor in place of the 2k2 (which seemed to be too much for this circuit- they were dim- and floated in and out of view.  so I modified that part)  this should be good indication that I at least have this part correct?

Like I said,  ive made this board twice,   maybe I'm missing something....

Any help would be so appreciated.

Kind regards,

Gibson RD Artist Sunburst 1977
Serial: 73127030
Built in: 08-nov-1977 (serial: 030) (Manufactured in Kalamazoo)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate Combo

Re: Wampler - Hotwired vs 1. HELP! Im over my head

Marbles
Hello,

I don;t have all the answers I'm afraid (Never built this).

Question 1: Yes, the markings in the layouts are the same as on the parts. The marking on the cap in the layout is the marking on your actual capth the marking on the LED in the layout is the cathode/flat side on your actual LED.

Question 2: Don't know tbh normally they don't have to all light up

Question 3: Always possible, but if bought through a store it's not very likely. If you use sockets, it's easy to swap and check others if that's the problem

Question 4: This sounds about right. Would not be something I'd expect, but hard to see without pictures.

I don't know how long you have been building, so please don't get offended or anything, but because you haven't posted a lot on the forum, just a double check:

Are you aware that the link under the IC are connected by the green circle (and is not just one long link)?

Just trying to get the obvious out of the way first.

I sit maybe possible to post pics otherwise?

Re: Wampler - Hotwired vs 1. HELP! Im over my head

myonus666
Hello,

Marbles wrote
Are you aware that the link under the IC are connected by the green circle (and is not just one long link)?
I assumed that was a split link.  So what I did was made the full length link,  then added a small piece of resistor wire to connect that link to that green circle hole.

Did I interpret that correctly?

Also,  I used 1/2 watt resistors, and all the caps are film 100v.  Except for the two axial which are Electrolytic 50v.  and the 3 (pf) caps are monolithic ceramic 50v.

Unfortunately, I trashed the board,  trying to troubleshoot.  So don't have any pics- that would do us any good.  I will be making another one.  But I think this time- I'm going to change a few components (Panasonic caps for one-  the ones I used before,  looked a little swollen- even tho they seemed to work fine/ possibly just old)

I'm not giving up, just a little worn out.  lol

Kind regards,

FYI,  I know my electronics pretty good (for a beginner I suppose)  but these vero stripboards are kinda new to me,  so I just wanted to be sure I was understanding the design correctly.  It takes a lot to offend me;  I'm no expert to say the least.  This is just a hobby I can use some of my skills from when I was younger.  And use up all these boxes of parts ive collected over the years.

Gibson RD Artist Sunburst 1977
Serial: 73127030
Built in: 08-nov-1977 (serial: 030) (Manufactured in Kalamazoo)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate Combo

Re: Wampler - Hotwired vs 1. HELP! Im over my head

Marbles
It is indeed a split link!

You're a lot better at electronics than I am haha, I'm more of a follower of good instructions.

I'm afraid my help can only be looking at pictures and see if there's something wrong. If you have old swollen, maybe dodgy parts, well, I wouldn't know. To test them all before using them might be cumbersome, but my advise.