Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

JustinsElf
Hi, I'm still pretty new to all this compared to some of you.  I've been repairing pedals for about a year now, and I've successfully built about a dozen pedals now, all on stripboard.  I have some basic circuit knowledge from taking a circuits course while in college for engineering.  I studied pedal circuits for a good 2 years before even plugging in the iron so I'm not completely inept, but still light years behind some of you.  I recently started breadboarding circuits from schematics just to sharpen my skills a bit.  I just bought a Way Huge Havalina.  I haven't seen that anybody has traced this yet and wanted to give it a go.  My first impression is that it's based on a tone bender, maybe an MKIII? Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'd like to get some tips.  I know how to follow a schematic and from doing repairs know how to navigate the pcb fairly well.  If I draw a schematic and take some photos, will somebody be able to look it over and verify my work, make corrections, etc.  I would be thrilled if somebody ended up doing a vero layout with it.  I'm desperate to help contribute and give back for all the awesome work that's been done on this site and I feel like my skills are getting to the point where I can start to do that.  Definitely not ready to tackle making my own vero layout yet but if I can help get a new pedal up here, I would be thrilled to do so.  Sorry for the long read and background.  I feel like it helps if people know where my skill level is at.  I bought this pedal pretty much specifically for this purpose, although I'm really enjoying playing it.  I definitely won't be parting with it.  Thanks!

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

Dex3887
Welcome. My suspicions are the same. I was thinking a bender-esque design. But that's from guts on fsb I've seen. Maybe take it apart and get good pics of front and back of the effect pcb( switching pcb are pretty much the same in Dunlop/WH pedals) try and make sure they're well lit and in focus and the geniuses here will guide you the rest of the way. Thanks for your effort. Also if there are any components like resistors you can't make out in pics just put the value printed on it and location ie: C7-474j

Again thanks
Dex

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

glasspak73
I found this pic if it helps?

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

Ciaran Haslett
Hi Justin.

The method that works best for me is laying out the circuit in DIYLC exactly as its laid out on the actual PCB.  I use 2 different colours for the top and bottom traces...which I verify with a DMM on continuity mode when drawing the layout.

Once I'm satisfied my layout matches the actual layout perfectly I then use Eagle in split screen and start drawing a schematic.  You can use DIYLC for the schematic too...I'm just not a fan.

I find this method works best as everything is now in front of me.  No swapping between windows, no to and fro between computer and PCB, no second guessing picture overlays (always hated that when I first started).  No I just put the initial effort in at the beginning and the rest comes easily.

As for where to start with a schematic....Power rails first including any vref, then just input to output works best for me.

Looking forward to see what you get

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

JustinsElf
Thanks for the info guys. I haven’t had a chance to get started yet. I’ve had way too much work and family stuff over the last week that kept me from getting to it. I’ll take it with me on vacation next week. As far as Eagle and all those fancy computer program doohickeys, I have exactly no experience with any of it. Maybe I’ll take my son’s laptop with me too and see if I can learn some of it. My teenagers say I’m the oldest 35 year old they know. I knew Instagram existed but didn’t really known what it was until a couple months ago, I rarely use Facebook and when I do my wife has to show me what to do. My computer skills are limited to being a whiz in Office and typing a million words a minute. My point is, I’m not exactly Bill Gates but I’ll give it a whirl.

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

PMowdes

Eagle can be impenetrable to new users.  Once you get the hang of it it's actually quite straight forward.

The key to it is removing the in-built libraries and setting yourself up with something suitable for building pedals.

There is a very good library on the Madbean forum, it's not comprehensive but it's got nearly everything you'll need.

Once you have the library sorted out the rest is reasonably straight forward.

There are some good tutorials on the sparkfun website, which might be a little outdated now, but give you a good idea of how it works.

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

JustinsElf
Thanks, hopefully I can spend some time messing with it on vacation. A friend of mine has a way huge Overrated Special he’s going to let me borrow to trace soon too. So if this one goes well, I’ll be doing that one next. I like that the main board is completely separate from the switching board on the way huge pedals.  I have a couple others I’d like to do as well that aren’t on the site yet. One of them is a Fulltone Ultimate Octave. Hopefully I can get good at this so I can help get these traced.

Re: Way Huge Havalina Circuit Trace

JustinsElf
Ok, so I realize this is months after I initially brought this up, so sorry for the delay.  Here are a whole mess of pics of the Havalina.  I'm working on a schematic now myself, but figured someone else could do one pretty quickly, especially since we're pretty sure this is a modified MKIII.  This is my first time uploading images on this site so I'm hoping it works out.