Weird Volume Pot Travel

squirrels
I'm still working on another Mini Mayonaise and got it working... Except the volume pot. Fully CCW if off and fully CW is about halfway. The loudest spot is in the middle. Transistors are BC550 and aren't backwards. Corrections from original post made. Tried different pots with the same result. Any help would be awesome.

Re: Weird Volume Pot Travel

Are you sure the wiring to the volume pot is done correctly?

It looks like the insulation is melted off the wires near the solder joints. There could be a short from that

It's a little hard to tell what's going on in the pics. The different angles are messing with me a little. There is a somewhat excessive amount of solder on the board. Maybe shine a light through the board to look for any unwanted bridges. There are a few things that look like bridges, but there's no way I can say for sure.

Ciaran is really the best at debugging remotely

Re: Weird Volume Pot Travel

squirrels
Yeah... Not my neatest job but it looks much better now. I swapped the output cap for a new one and all good now. Thanks.

Re: Weird Volume Pot Travel

Ciaran Haslett
Haha....it's the worlds worst super power!!!  Cheers Travis.

Glad you got sorted squirrels!  It did look like the solder on the out cap didn't take well in the pics.  Maybe a reflow was all that was necessary.  That looks like the lead free stuff.  I'm sure you've read here many times how we all prefer the 60/40 (or Silver's 63/37) tin/lead solder.  Its got a lower melting point and just flows so much better.

Re: Weird Volume Pot Travel

squirrels
It's actually 60/40. I had to replace my iron recently and picked up a 40 watt, definitely going back to 25. Melts everything way too fast.

There are definitely far worse superpowers to have.