What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav

What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
This post was updated on .
Hi,

had an old mixer, opened it up and saw these two things in red which im not sure what they are.

I know one is a Germanium, but how do i know which one it is? The multimeter on the Germanium shows 640 on the 'diode' setting. Sorry I am very new to this!

Thanks in advance!

Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

The one on the right looks like an avalanche diode of some description, I have no idea what type though.
640 seems high for the diode on the left if that is supposed to be germanium.  I would expect a germanium diode to have a voltage drop around the 0.25 - 0.35V.  0.64V would be closer to what you would expect from a silicon diode, and that is actually what it looks more like to me.  I've never seen them quite like that with the yellow band, but I haven't seen any germanium diodes in a DO35 size package apart from schottky's pretending to be germanium.
Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
ah ok!

I assumed it was a germanium just by looking at some pics on google, but im going to trust you quite a bit more! Thats a shame, the mixer i have is absolutely riddled with them!

Thanks!

:-)

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Still try them in something.  Personally I prefer silicon clipping to germanium anyway.
Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
Im just about to start a simple pedal like the Orange Squeezer

Will try it out and post on the relevant page how it goes! Slightly confused as to one thing on there, have asked on the actual page but no one responded yet - probably because im being a complete dummy at working out wiring routes... if you have a sec please have a look!

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/orange-squeezer.html

Thank you so much!

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

The offboard wiring diagram shows a wire labelled output coming from the board to the stomp switch.  This is just a simple graphical representation though and doesn't necessarily reflect every build.  More often than not there is a volume pot at the end of the circuit and so the output wire from the board goes to lug 3, lug 1 is grounded and then lug 2 is the new output which goes back to the stomp switch.

I'd recommend reading and thoroughly absorbing this
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

and Miro's component guide:
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/p/components.html

because these are the basics that you'll need to know clearly so the layouts make more sense to you.
Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
on itt!!!!!!

hopefully after reading through them again it will make more sense!

thanks again! :)

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

I've seen a lot of those like the yellow band one (I've also seen blue banded ones) in my collection of old boards, they all test in the 4148 voltage range, so I'd assume they're silicon. The red bead one could be a Zener, but it's hard to tell.
Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
thanks Silver Blues! You think it would sound good in a simple compressor like the Orange Squeezer?

Many Thanks,
Hav Singh

On 20 May 2014 23:19, Silver Blues [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've seen a lot of those like the yellow band one (I've also seen blue banded ones) in my collection of old boards, they all test in the 4148 voltage range, so I'd assume they're silicon. The red bead one could be a Zener, but it's hard to tell.
I stand watching the steam-liners roll by...

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/What-are-these-two-components-on-this-board-from-a-mixer-tp9854p9876.html
To unsubscribe from What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?, click here.
NAML

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Silver Blues
Eh... honestly no  the Orange Squeezer wants germanium diodes for their low forward voltage, and I find that in effects that use the diode for something other than clipping, people tend to prefer Ge anyway; take the Snow White Auto Wah, one of the more popular mods is swapping the silicon diode for a germanium one. You'd probably do well with a 1N34A or something similar (the 34 will probably be easiest to find).
Hav

Re: What are these two components on this board from a mixer..?

Hav
Thanks for the advice Silver Blues it's really helpful :-)

Hav

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/What-are-these-two-components-on-this-board-from-a-mixer-tp9854p9878.html