What are you listening to?

Re: What are you listening to?

induction
Tom Waits, Phantogram, PJ Harvey, Justin Townes Earle, Arvo Part, Amon Tobin, Counting Crows, Elliot Smith, Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, Chris Whitley, Mississippi John Hurt, The Pixies, Shudder to Think, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Taraf de Haidouks, Joseph Campbell, and Alan Watts.

Re: What are you listening to?

Vince
Lonely Camel..... heavy blues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNtbFTG0xKI

Re: What are you listening to?

dbat69
Hmmmm ... boring old fart here

Pink Floyd ... lots of Pink Floyd, ACDC, Maiden, Schenker, DIO, Sabbath, Bon Jovi (yeah I know, but I've liked them since their first single ).  Ohh and throw in some Led Zep, Kiss, Whitesnake (Bernie Marsden to Sykes era), ZZ Top, Gary Moore, a bit of Thin Lizzy, Rush, Marillion and Aerosmith with a smidgin of Bad Company, Blackfoot, Deep Purple, Magnum, Styx and Thunder, all washed down with a bucket load of Scorpions, UFO and Uriah Heep

And a lot more besides ...

Told you --- "old fart"

Re: What are you listening to?

Heath
This post was updated on .
That's actually a hell of a list, dbat69.  Heavy on the Good Music and light on the "Bands I'm into that you haven't heard of."

Pink Floyd ... lots of Pink Floyd, ACDC, Maiden, Schenker, DIO, Sabbath, Bon Jovi* (yeah I know, but I've liked them since their first single ).  Ohh and throw in some Led Zep, Kiss, Whitesnake (Bernie Marsden to Sykes era**), ZZ Top, Gary Moore, a bit of Thin Lizzy, Rush***, Marillion and Aerosmith with a smidgin of Bad Company, Blackfoot, Deep Purple, Magnum, Styx and Thunder, all washed down with a bucket load of Scorpions, UFO and Uriah Heep

Bold - I'm digging bigtime
Normal - No real opinion on
Italic - No disrespect, but HELL NO. :D

* - Had a brief interest in Slippery When Wet when I was a teen, which quickly subsided.  However, I still think "Blaze of Glory" is the best thing he ever did and I unabashedly love it... hate everything else.

** - You nailed it... Whitesnake up until Whitesnake (1987) was great stuff, and even their 1987 album has it's moments (most likely due to it still being co-written by Sykes) but it's definitely overshadowed by Coverdale's big dick-shaped ego.  After that, just not even remotely the same band.  Slide it in was one hell of an album.

*** - I'm a huge goofy Rush nerd.  If I ever got to meet them I'd probably dissolve into a giggling pile of goo.

Lately for me it's been more Pixies, Frank Black, Pink Floyd, giving some newer Iron Maiden a chance, The Cure, Kings-X, and (here's my entry for "obscure") Sex Gang Children.

Re: What are you listening to?

DUDE, VINCE. I really dig Lonely Kamel. thanks for pointing them out. they have a great 60's psych rock vibe too. fan-freaking-tastic

i don't know about you guys, but i'm noticing a trend in all the music we post.

Re: What are you listening to?

Vince
Amen Rockett... I love all the 'retro' stoner fuzz type of stuff...

Also as mentioned above, a massive Floyd fan.. my personal fav is the Final Cut. As for Bon Jovi.. I have a soft spot for When wet and New jersey as I am a hair metal child.. The solo on 'wanted dead or alive' is a beaut of a solo... I like a wide range from Mozart to Cannibal Corpse....

Re: What are you listening to?

got to say, i do love floyd, but bon jovi.....ehhh......i really don't like, nor do i like bruce springstein. i think i'm the only person from new jersey that really can't stand the two biggest new jersey bands.....

Re: What are you listening to?

Heath
rocket88 wrote
nor do i like bruce springstein. i think i'm the only person from new jersey that really can't stand the two biggest new jersey bands.....
Not from Jersey, but sometimes I feel like the only person who thinks Bruce Springsteen is mediocre at best.  He's a sacred cow, though, so it's like you're just expected to dig him.

Other "Sacred Cows" I won't willingly subject my ears to are The Eagles and Stevie Nicks.

While I'm possibly offending people, I'm not ignorant of the skill and talent of Eric Clapton.  He's obviously a superb guitar player, but his playing/music never did anything for me.  Give me Mark Knopfler any day.

Re: What are you listening to?

boratto
I´m listen to, and recommend The Sword, any album from them!

Re: What are you listening to?

i've seen them 4 times and met them 2x. amazing live, and great guys. definitely one of my favorites.

Re: What are you listening to?

dbat69
Heath wrote
Italic - No disrespect, but HELL NO. :D
I didn't do too bad then

Being an old fart, I love the older rock stuff - also being from the age of the "hair", I still like some of the stuff produced in that era. Also have a soft spot for some of the American melodic stuff, and femail artists like Pat Benatar.
BUT every now and then I listen to some of the more obscure stuff from the early days and also NWOBHM.  Things like Mountain, Camel, Barclay James Harvest, Fleetwood Mac (OK not obscure), Heart, Steve Hackett, Diamond Head, FM, Tygers of Pang Tang etc.  All depends upon what mood I'm in.

Occasionally listen to newer stuff like Nightwish and Stratovarious, I like that Classical mixup

Heath wrote
** - You nailed it... Whitesnake up until Whitesnake (1987) was great stuff, and even their 1987 album has it's moments (most likely due to it still being co-written by Sykes) but it's definitely overshadowed by Coverdale's big dick-shaped ego.  After that, just not even remotely the same band.  Slide it in was one hell of an album.
Yeah, COverdale got a huge ego, and went a direction I wasn't keen on - still it was comercially successful for him, but content of the music just wasn't there for me.

Ohh and Rush were/are a superb act - love the depth and complexity of the music and how everything has its place to produce the mood.  They are extremely talented and underrated.

Re: What are you listening to?

dbat i like your pick, but i got to say, i like Fleetwood Mac before stevie nicks, but will admit they did do a few good albums with her.

Re: What are you listening to?

boratto
Lucky man!

Re: What are you listening to?

iggy
Joe Bonamassa. Just saw him last night at RedRocks. Amazing place, and Joe was ripping the place up. I think they filmed the show. So if you have a chance watch it. He played a special concert featuring songs from Moody Waters and Howlin Wolf. God that boy can play.

Re: What are you listening to?

Frank_NH
The Who Sell Out - Great Album!

Re: What are you listening to?