What filter is it?

Skajaquada
Hey guys, I'm wanting to build a filter pedal, but I don't know what kind I'm looking for.

What I want is one that can make the effect heard on the opening riff of "E.T.I." by Blue Oyster Cult.  It sounds like an envelope filter, but sort of makes an "ow" sound instead of a "wah" sound.

Any ideas what pedal that may have been?  Any suggestions on what clone I can build that will get that same sort of sound?

Thanks in advance!

Re: What filter is it?

Probably a Mutron III with the switch set to down

Re: What filter is it?

Skajaquada
Thanks man.  I may try that out.  Do you think the Micro V would get close too?  Looks a bit simpler, but if the III will work, I'll go for that.

Re: What filter is it?

GrooveChampion
I built the Madbean Kraken which is a Mu V with more controls and it doesnt sound like that

Re: What filter is it?

clockman
 Formant filter? maybe?
The Colorsound Dipthonizer seems to make similar sounds.
Madbean offers a clone called the Honeydripper.

https://youtu.be/qQwEkNKW1IM
about 8:15 in on the second switch setting, sounds pretty close.

Re: What filter is it?

clockman
okay, my bad... at 1:33 the second switch setting.
the video is 8:15 long. oops.

Re: What filter is it?

Skajaquada
Yeah!  That's pretty much it!  I'm gonna look into something like that.  I might even try the Mutron III anyway, just because it's so legendary.  Thanks guys!

Re: What filter is it?

clockman
There is an unverified layout available
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Madbean-HoneyDripper-tp24675p25433.html

Mutron III is indeed a classic. happy soldering.