What program is used for these layouts?

strassercaster
I was just wondering what they use for these layouts. I like the looks off these way better than some
If
The other styles
Out there.. Also how do we go about getting a layout posted on this site do they allow suissions?  Thanks in advance.

Re: What program is used for these layouts?

It's a free program called DIY layout creator

Re: What program is used for these layouts?

motterpaul
The challenge with this DIY Creator program - based on my own trials, is that the best looking version is #2 - which has now been fully deprecated and replaced by version 3. The author really doesn't seem to want anyone using V2, because I cannot find a working version of it on the web. There are places that say you can download V2, but you don't seem to get the full package - the .exe file is missing.

If you were lucky enough to have downloaded V2 back when, and still have the executable file on your computer, I would not lose that.

Mark was nice enough to share his extensive library of custom made icons for version 2, which I saw linked here in a zip file (I did download it). He also told us how to install them (on V2 or V3), but I can't find those directions any longer. That is more complicated than just copying them over to V3, each icon is a comprehensive XML file with various attributes defined.

Version 3 is also good, though. Someone (sorry, I usually get so focused on the "tip" that I forget to notice who actually said it) here mentioned creating icon templates by right-clicking any icon, selecting "edit properties," editing and then checking the boxes for each property. The program will then use those properties for the rest of that layout. BUT - you can also save your properties updates by selecting "save as template" (same right-click menu) and that makes your new icons available as dropdowns from the main menu up above the next time you open the same project.

Also - if you have trouble finding this file: look in "My Documents > DIY Creator > templates. (and if it asks you if you want to open the last "auto-saved version" say "no")

So - I recommend creating all your icon templates and then save the project as "templates.diy" and use that to start new projects - just remember to always use "save as" for each new project under a different filename, so when you start a new project "templates.diy" doesn't get changed.

EDIT: I just found the post where Marks describes how he exported his icon library: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DIYLC-component-template-td18133.html#a18135

It has to do with modifying the config.xml file.  The only problem is that I am not sure where that file is located. (there are different places)

Also - if you look in the "library" of DIYLC there are many projects already done that you can use as starting points to new projects.  That is at: C:\ > program Files (x86) > DIY Creator > library

You can get to these files through the "import" menu -

New EDIT: if the components do not have the values listed - under the file menu check "create BOM" - which stands for "Bill of Materials" - you should see the components listed there.

Re: What program is used for these layouts?

strassercaster
Wow thanks motterpaul. i really appreciate the time wisdom and tips. i really love this website and forum! its a jungle out there and its nice to come here and interact with you good people. thanks. i will do a layout someday. i built a hyde which is a marshall shredmaster with about ten component changes and a bass pot eliminated. I thought i would share it . hopefully i can do it without a bunch of obstacles. Thank you very much.