What to do with high gain germanium?

Hey guys! In my last bag of 2N404 I recieved a couple over 200 hfe and one around 170.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what circuits would be nice with them? I was thinking maybe Q1 in a Fuzzrite would be cool.

They have zero leakage according to my DCA55 btw

Thanks!

Re: What to do with high gain germanium?

JaviCAP
Administrator
A Rangemaster with a ~280 hfe germanium is one of the most wonderful effects I've ever listened to, try it, you won't regret it :)

Re: What to do with high gain germanium?

JaviCAP
Administrator
* 180 I mean :P

Re: What to do with high gain germanium?

Anything that you think is too much (after testing) for a gainy effect, just make into a batch of germanium buffers and sell them on TGP.  You can use virtually anything in a buffer, ultra low or ultra high, and they'll lap it up!

Re: What to do with high gain germanium?

Great suggestions! Thanks guys

I'd really like to make some crazy badass fuzz with them.