Where can I find tagboard in the US?

Ross
I am completely unable to find tagboard from US sellers. Do you just import the stuff from Ampmaker, or is there another place? I'd love to try my hand at some of those mojo layouts.

Re: Where can I find tagboard in the US?

Milkit
This UK ebay seller ships worldwide!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: Where can I find tagboard in the US?

Or you could always make up your own.  I got fed up with that tagboard pretty quickly because you have to bend the components out of shape to get them through the holes and they ended up looking untidy.  Plus that central gap isn't very big so you are still very much restricted in components you can use without having to bend them over the top to make them fit.

My preferred method now is to use strips of walnut from a furniture repair shop on eBay and 4mm brass eyelets.  I bought 10 strips of walnut around 600mm x 60mm and 500 brass eyelets for around £20 in total and that would be enough to make anything between 80 and 100 boards (obviously depending on the size of the circuit, and I would need another pack of eyelets).

You can bend the component leads 90 degrees and just stuff them all in the holes and cover in solder without having to bend anything out of shape to get things in.  It really is a joy compared to that tagboard.

Or another alternative is perfboard with vero pins to make little mini turrets to wrap the components round.  Not as simple to do as the eyelets but still better than tagboard for me.  Here's a pic of a couple of made up perf/vero pin boards.

Re: Where can I find tagboard in the US?

Ross
Those eyelets are astonishingly cheap. Do you drill for the eyelets first, or use some form of a punch to get them through the walnut?

Re: Where can I find tagboard in the US?

Just drill for a tight fit and push the eyelet in the hole.   I got a eyelet setting tool as well like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190804024452

And that squeezes the eyelet from both sides and turns over the ends locking it in place.  But it isn't even necessary, the eyelet isn't going anywhere if you choose the right drill bit.  The setter does have a cutter as well to exactly the right size but it's hard to judge where the hole is going to end up, plus it's a bit destructive to the surrounding wood, so much better to drill exactly.