Where would you add an 18v power boost?

motterpaul
In my pedal board I have:

compressor
Maxon808
Chorus
HIgh gain pedals (currently a Nagy SupaNova, but going to try different ones)
ROG Tonemender EQ

Now - I kind of feel like my signal is getting a little "squishy" and could use more headroom - so I am thinking about increasing the power in some of these pedals to 18v.

Where would you do it? I am thinking the EQ since it seems to be working as something of a "control center" for my entire sound. But I would like to hear other ideas if anyone has them.

Re: Where would you add an 18v power boost?

Beaker
Well first you have to make sure that the pedals can handle 18V, so check your cap, diode, I.C. etc. ratings. If they can't they are going to generate some smoke!

Presuming they all can handle the 18V, will it make them sound better? Maybe, maybe not.

I would try using your test box with a voltage doubler, to test each one and see if it makes a difference. As to which ones will benefit, I have no idea.

Re: Where would you add an 18v power boost?

Neil mcNasty
Well, it actually depends on when you get the squishy feeling.
What pedals are on at the time...? Does it happen all the time? Or just once in a while...?
Is it a result of pedal combinations or is it consistent?
Is it the pedal(s) or is it the amp?

I would try it for the Compressor and the Tonemender Eq. (mainly looking at the Toemender)
You probably do not want it for your dirt pedals, since the whole technology behind distortion is based on low headroom...

But first I would try to remove/bypass one pedal at the time to find the "Squishy" one... (or just turn off the compressor... )
I would also check if it is the amp that is causing the Squishy-ness before proceeding to do this...
I would also try to re-arrange the order of some of the the pedals, like getting the high gain pedals at the beginning of the pedal chain instead of at the end. (I would also try the Chorus at the end of the chain)

Remove or de-buffer any buffered pedal.
Buffers can sometimes totally destroy dynamics, when placed at the beginning of the pedal chain! Specially before dirt pedals!
Move it to the end of the chain if you absolutely believe that you need one!!! (or just use the Treble control on your amp, like I do...)

Some pedals are often designed to "see" the pickup and wants to exploit the effect of loading the pickup (like the Fuzz Face).
A buffer removes the "sight" and creates the "wrong" signal is cases like these.
(If the pedal actually needed a buffer up front, it probably would have been a part of the pedal circuit, unless we are talking pedals from the pre-knowledge/the kids love it so lets make it, times)

Back to 18 volts...
My rule of thumb when dealing with 18v instead of 9v, is:
Use 18v for Jfet circuits that you want more "meat", volume and dynamics out of...
Use 18v for Opamp circuit that you want less distortion and more headroom from...
Never use 18v for:
Fuzz pedals (you'll loose the fuzz... Unless you want less fuzz though...)
And... unless it is specified as an option: never for any other pedal that you have not built yourself, since you do not know if the caps can handle the voltage...

Re: Where would you add an 18v power boost?

motterpaul
Thanks Neil - a lot of good information in there. I was also think either the compressor or Tonemender

I just made this demo of my pedal board - of course YouTube squished some of the dynamic range (as always) but here it is... (The tonemender actually makes the volume almost double in real life)

<nabble_embed>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPT84TGghbM</nabble_embed>