Which wire do you use

alltrax74
I'm wondering which kind of wire do you guys use in your pedals : solid, stranded, AWG ?

Until now I used 24 AWG stranded wire (pre tinned 100m), but it is a bit too stiff and it often breaks at the solder joint when I manipulate them too much.
So I recently changed to 26 AWG, but I am wondering if 28 AWG would not be even better ?

We obviously don't need big sections in pedals, and small Ø seem so easier to manipulate
(for the same reason I hate solid core wires)

Re: Which wire do you use

This because it's cheap as chips.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Unistrand-7-0-2-Wire-on-100m-reels-plain-colours-502641

I used to use much bigger wire (I've got a few reels still of 16/0.2, 24/0.2 and even 32/0.2) but I realised it was a waste of time for the type of things we're building, all it did was make the offboard wiring more difficult because of the extra tension you get with thicker wire.  Thicker wire is nice sometimes for tagboard builds, but for vero or PCB I just stick to the 7/0.2mm.

Re: Which wire do you use

Vince
I use the Rapid stuff too. I find it perfect.

Re: Which wire do you use

boratto
CCtV cable, 8 ways, a lot of colors inside.

Re: Which wire do you use

I use ribbon cable for pots. Makes it much easier to keep them together and tidy without having to double the length by twisting them together.

Re: Which wire do you use

I was using some solid 22g I found at a local electronics store that's really nice, but It's been a bear laying everything out because of the thickness of the wire and the insulation. I just bough barry's best hookup wire from pcbshop. It's 24g, tinned and bonded stranded wire, but holds its shape like solid core, looks like good quality, and pretty cheap. I literally just got it today, and will be using it in my next build, so I can report back as to how good it is.

Re: Which wire do you use

alltrax74
That rapidonline cable is the same Ø as the 24 AWG I was using, don't you find it too stiff when you need to pass it underneaf the board to connect pots or switches ?

Re: Which wire do you use

It's flexible 7 core

Re: Which wire do you use

Vince
I use the 22awg stranded stuff. Not sure if there would be much difference between 24 & 22

http://www.rapidonline.com/FFSearchResults.aspx?qFS=&query=Wire+1%2F0.6mm&x=25&y=16

Re: Which wire do you use

Silver Blues
Yeah I use 22 AWG stranded. I have a bunch laying around but I think I need to buy more soon, lol.

Re: Which wire do you use

Geiri
Best. Wire. EVER.

22AWG (thicker):
Click here!

24AWG (thinner):
Click here!

Seriously, I've tried many and this is the shit. It's stranded but extremely strong. It's stiff so you can bend it like solid if you want. I've got three reels of these here now and I'm never switching to anything else.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Which wire do you use

Silver Blues
Ah yes, the bonded stranded stuff. It's as great as he says, guys.

Re: Which wire do you use

Geiri
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Which wire do you use

alltrax74
1000ft minimum quantity...for each color, that's minimum 4000ft, which would probably cover my next 10 building years

I'll maybe try the rapidonline one

Re: Which wire do you use

Geiri
I just use one colour at all time. No need for colour coding here!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Which wire do you use

johnk
I use 26 gauge belden Teflon coated silver plated wire in mine. the tiny gauge allows me to push it through the holes and solder it on the underside making it have a stress relief.

Re: Which wire do you use

alltrax74
Do you buy it online John ?
If so could you share the link (26 gauge is also my fave Ø) ?
Thanks

Re: Which wire do you use

johnk
no. I buy it at a local electronics store. the problem is, they have a very limited stock of it.

Re: Which wire do you use

alltrax74

Re: Which wire do you use

Beaker
It looks like Mouser stock the Belden 26 gauge teflon coated wire that John uses.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/645/usd/1279.pdf
12