Which wire?

Re: Which wire?

Frank_NH
I use the #24 prebond wire that Smallbear sells.  Works very well and I haven't noticed any abnormal melting (although it can if you heat the wire too long).

Re: Which wire?

I second frank. I switched to it and haven't looked back. IMHO it's the best damn wire I've used. I do have some of the Teflon coated stuff, it's silver wire too, but I haven't used  it yet. I've heard good things about some Teflon coated wire that's on eBay, but honestly since using the stuff from smallbear I haven't looked back.

Re: Which wire?

Also worth investigating silicone insulated wire Tabbycat, as that is shrink proof and high temperature heat resistant too. A friend of mine who builds amps uses it for his pedals, and it looks like great stuff.

I know he gets it from Rapid here in the UK, but I'm not sure which particular wire it is (they sell hundreds of types, so it's hard to find unless you know exactly what you are looking for). Rapid sells loads of teflon insulated wire too.

I do know what you mean though, the cheap Maplin / Rapid PVC hook up wire starts to melt if you look at it funny!

Re: Which wire?

Hozy31
I started out using the 7 stranded 0.2mm wire from bitsbox but found it to break to easily even after tinning so i have moved to the single core AWG 22 0.6mm. Not tried anything since as i find its perfect, doesn't melt too quickly etc.
"Red velvet lines the black box"
12