Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
I've recently tried to build the Woolly Mammoth with the split and blend, but it seems the mammoth doesnt really like the blend circuit.

For some reason you can really hear the blended sound, it is usually overshadowed by the fuzz, unless you crank it all the way and can hear the dry sound with a hint of fuzz in the background, any ideas as to why this is?

I used 2n5457's, must they be matched?

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

It’s out of phase with the dry signal

Edit: actually the mammoth doesn’t have the third stage like the Fuzz Factory so it shouldn’t invert phase. The problem is actually probably that the Mammoth is an FF and FFs sound weird when you put a buffer in front. Maybe try a pickup simulator in front of the Mammoth

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
You mean a buffer?

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

I mean the buffer in the split n blend is probably causing the issue. You could add a pickup simulator between the Mammoth and blend buffer to mitigate this, though it will still change the sound somewhat compared to just the fuzz with no blend.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

When I was making a clean blend circuit that would work with an FF for Zach I found it was ultimately necessary to include a pickup simulator to get the fuzz to work properly.

I used the simpler one with the transformer

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
I honestly have no idea how to build this

Although I do have a similar transformer, though its the 18, not the 19

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

What is confusing you?

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
OK actually it seems really straight forward, but it calls for a 600 ohm inductor which the 42TM18 is not.

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

The 42TM018 primary is 550 ohms which is close enough and you have a centertap to try as well if you want (I didn’t include the switch for the centertap shown in the schem)

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
Must the 25K resistor be a potentiometer?

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

Certainly not an external pot though you can use a trimmer or 10K-15K resistor

Re: Woolly Mammoth and a blender

GrooveChampion
Thank you sir, I'll try to see if I can make a gooched pedal less gooched.