Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

frank-berlin
hello everyone !

.... first of all a big thank you to everyone who shares his knowledge and allmthe information here !!!

... anyone got schematic or stripboard-layout for the new Xotic Soul Driven ?
would be nice ;-)

greets from Berlin
frank
... thank you all !

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

redredbettyz

I'd like to see a layout as well!

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
This post was updated on .
I tried to draw a layout.

UNVERIFIED!

Update. Added a cut track in E3, and added some notes.

Tell me if you see some mistake.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Bump!
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

dirtybogner
Thnaks for the layout!
I will try to build this.

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Good! Let us to know about your building.
Unfortunately, I can't build anything new in this period.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

dirtybogner
Hi, fx-fidden.
I think 3-E need to be cut.

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Yes, I think you're right. I'll update it soon.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
I updated the the layout adding a cut in E3. I added some notes, too.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

dirtybogner
Thank you for updating fast.
I finished the building. But after the first testing, one more thing I noticed that Q1 collector isn't powered by V+, but linked to IC pin 6.
I modded the vero board a little and... it worked perfectly!
So it will be verified with Q1 collector fix!
Thank you again for the layout.

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

dirtybogner
Sorry, not IC pin 6, linked to pin 7 now.

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Thanks to have verified this my layout!

Sorry for my mistakes and confusion. It's been, I guess, my first big layout.

I don't know how you had correct the layout, but I do it flipping the transistor Q1 and moving some parts, then I left out a link and a cut track.
I also moved some cut track for an easier building, and I moved some parts, but just to make more space, none position is changed.
I corrected some information and notes.

This is updated, now. I labelled it VERIFIED, it should be ok.

I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

frank-berlin
Hello & thank you very much.
especially the quick correction.
can‘t wait to build one for myself
greetings from berlin
... thank you all !

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

dirtybogner
This is my build.
I installed bass 25k pot instead of switches.
And this pedal has a lot of bass response (like zendrive), so I added input cap switch that select between 2n2, 4n4, and original 470n. Though this mod is may not the way the pedal was originally intended, that worked fine in my case.

Recently I don't pay much attention to case outer design.

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Very nice!
Good idea to swap the Bass Switch with a pot.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

frank-berlin

... good idea with the pot for Bass. I am just thinking about a switch changing the clipping diodes ... coul make it even more versatile …
thanks for sharing !
... thank you all !

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
The clipping mode is a classic.
I have to search my notes, then I can write here some possible simple mods.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

fx-fidden
Ok. I drawn the layout some months ago, but probably I didn't analyze the schematic, so I did it now.

The bass response that dirtybogner hears is indeed a little hump around the 125Hz caused by the transistor eq gyrator, this hump is noticeable even when the bass switches are closed (or the Bass pot are at zero). The switches cut off some db but not soo much. This feature is reported in the description of the pedal on the Xotic web site: the min boost is 2.4db, the max 6db. It's always boosted a bit.
To remove totally the 125Hz bass hump we have to jumper the 18k R6 resistor. Actually, doing this we could lost something more of 1db of overall gain, but I have doubt we can hear it.

Using simply a 2.2nF as input cap like the new switch added by dirtybogner, though the cap value is reduced drastically, the low cut is in the very low frequencies. I expect we can hear it, but not so much.

And, about the bass pot that replaces the switches, though is a good idea, that is a control of that db range of the 125Hz, exactly how the switch does, but just we can do it with a pot.
I build pedals

Re: Xotic Soul Driven ... ?

frank-berlin
yeah. clipping mode is an easy one ... done that several times ...  That's no need for new layout , for me
... but thanks anyway ... maybe it's helpful for someone else ...

... thank you all !