Your favourite simple pedal?

Dave
So I'm appreciating those brilliantly simple little circuits recently, particularly all those overdrives based off the humble electra distortion, so I wondered, what are your favourite simple circuits? I guess simple is subjective but lets say a low parts count, maybe ~25 parts or less....
Thanks
Dave

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

dexxyy
2 very simple builds that I find very impressive are the zwiss army knife and the cot 50, unbelievably great little circuits.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

I really love the Meathead.  I've made maybe 10 of them, some have just been ok, but a couple have been amazing.  I think in those I just had a perfect mix of components in terms of tolerances, and the transistors were obviously the perfect gain.

By far the best ones I've made used old ME4003 transistors which are in the old TO106 style form.  Unfortunately I didn't measure gain in them and so I'm not sure exactly what they were, but the datasheet lists the transistors at over 300hfe, so that's what I'd use as a benchmark to experiment with.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Geiri
I'm with Mark. I built the Meathead Deluxe the other day using ME4003 (or very similar) that I had laying around for something that I had forgotten. It's very easy and sounds amazing!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Dave
Cool suggestions chaps, I'd also add the Escobedo Idiot wah to that list as a great sounding wah. What does that Zwiss army knife OD sound like? Cant find a single thing on it....
Thanks
Dave

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Madferret
I'm always surprised by how much I like a Fuzz Face or the multitude of variants.  My go to simple pedal recommendation is usually the Lovepedal Woodrow, but I guess you've already tried it.  With the Electra derivatives you can tweak them quite a bit, with the Woodrow I found changing the 3k3 resistor to a 10k, the 2m2 to a 3m3 and the 330r to 100r gave a more high gain, almost distortion kind of sound.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Geiri
The Super Hard On is always a classic build as well.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Vince
Meathead dark version and the Silicon Fuzz Face.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Ross
Meathead and the Devi Ever Hyperion (v1).  The Punk Panther's also fantastic if you're looking for a simple op amp design. As Madferret said, you can really experiment with some of those Electra designs. I made a modified Woodrow with an MPSA18 and LED clipping. It wasn't bad!

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Olav
I like the Flowerbooster, which I 'modded' to have a mastervolume, love that gritty, screaming overdrive it gives. DeviEver KaraokeParty is another favorite, from crisp clean to roaring over-the-top drive with a turn of the guitar's volume.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

alex.s
Was hoping to add something here but will simply echo what's been said.. I love my SHO and use it an awful lot, so if I was to pick my favourite simple build I'd probably go for this one; does one thing but is very good at it, and can do it in lots of different set ups.

Fuzz wise, the Hyperion and Torn's Peaker are two great, simple and fairly classic fuzzes from Devi Ever which would appeal most (some are simpler but not for everyone). The Meathead is another great, simple circuit, while the Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box are great fun and can be tweaked and adjusted in many ways. Sound very good, too!

Had a bit of fun with the Electra/Woodrow circuit (did a little demo/video with a few different transistors and diodes which should be linked in the description) but ended up not boxing it up. Good sounding but not something I'd probably use I guess.

Really like a nice Rangemaster, too. Built a NPN version with input cap blend (aka the DAM Red Rooster) which I really like.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

JaviCAP
Administrator
Really little circuits, I have no doubt:
1.Fuzz Face (germanium).
2. Meathead Deluxe
3. Drag'n'Fly/Grease Box /Fulltione Soul Bender (they're quite  the same)
4. Devi Ever Hyperion.

On the 25 parts limit, the Zendrive has been a real find. And can't forget the Stone Grey and the Distortus Maximus.

BR

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Dave
Seems like there are some real classics that have been repeated here. Has anyone here built the EM drive? I was watching some vids yesterday and am considering building it, should be a 20 min build at most.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Ross
I built it, and I wasn't particularly impressed. If you're looking for an all-around overdrive, avoid this at all costs. It's not a bad "sort-of-dirty" boost on an already dirty amp. Build it anyway! It's only a few parts.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Dave
Ah thanks for the feedback, in the youtube vids it looks like it generates the od by itself, maybe it'll be my next modding project
Cheers
Dave

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

peavey_xxl
I bet I have built 10 of these.  Its a good boost that will push the front end of your amp without losing tone.  I would use a 2n222a around 200-250 hfe anything over that the gain gets kinda farty.

Re: Your favourite simple pedal?

Dave
Cool, cheers, sounds like something for tube amp users rather than those of us who are solid staters.
Thanks
Dave