ZVEX - Box of Rock: Not as Rockin'/weird mis-biasing sounds

ZVEX - Box of Rock: Not as Rockin'/weird mis-biasing sounds

Digitalzombie
So I breadboarded the BOR and I have a two-fold problem:

I started with just the Distortron side of the circuit and my first thought was, "this thing sounds great!" My only issue there is it doesn't get nearly as saturated as in the demo video with the gain dimed. I tried putting the Q3 source at ground (like the Gain Hi/Lo from Distortron) using a mechanical switch built into my Beavis Board, but that cause a lot of high-pitched farting. If I take it off the switch and just put a wire from S to ground I don't get the farting but there's no discernible difference in the saturation.

The second part of my issue is with the SHO. I'd already tested that circuit individually and thought it sounded really good. I changed my input to the SHO, output of the SHO to the input of the BOR, BOR to output. When I turn the SHO up it starts oscillating like a Fuzz Factory, creating a droning synth-like note.

Any ideas?

Re: ZVEX - Box of Rock: Not as Rockin'/weird mis-biasing sounds

GrooveChampion
I'd recommend checking for bridges in the vero board using a multi meter, you wont believe how many times that saved me. Secondly I'd highly recommend posting pics.

Re: ZVEX - Box of Rock: Not as Rockin'/weird mis-biasing sounds

I built a super hard on once that would make a weird tremolo sound with my Telecaster, but only with that guitar. The guitar had no issues, it was the BS170 or 2N7000 that I had used in the SHO

First thing I would do is look at those MOSFETs. They are sensitive to ESD and if they were bought from Tayda I feel like many of their semiconductors are out of spec

Pics and voltages are always helpful for debugging