ZVex '59 Sound - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
Unverfied layout of Zvex '59 Sound sans SHO Boost. This is basically a BOR with a component value changes which should give a different voicing.

SCHEMATIC is provided by the Boutique Slayer Bugg

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

Dex3887
Thanks man. I am having my Christmas late this year thanks to that magnificent Mr Bugg. The Jonny Octave, this one and all the other 4 dozen boutique pedals he's got pcbs for and some that ain't even out yet.

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

HamishR
I have made one from Buggs' PCB and made my own layout for one on stripboard too - it's a great OD.  I went crazy and used a 360 for the 358 resistor and a 510K for the 521K  And whaddaya know?  It sounds exactly the same!

Mr Bugg is doing some cool stuff indeed.

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

HamishR
Hey Anders - here is pretty much the layout I used to make mine.  As you can see it is very much based on IVIark's BoR layout .  This one is modified to include a bass pot - and it works in an interesting way.  At just before noon on the bass pot it sounds exactly like the regular '59 sound, but as you go higher it adds gain and girth and quite changes the character of the pedal.  I think the regular version is well designed as regards low end but this takes it into another direction - and it gets very heavy.

I have built this and it works.  I hope you don't mind me adding it here - if you do please let me know.

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

anders
Great contribution and thank you for info on the bass pot, seems to add lot more versiality. Of course I don't mind! The more the merrier, we're here to help each other and share our work and passion (or obsession) for this hobby. So keep them coming, loved your layout of castledine The Wizard.

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

Sven
Hey Anders,

thank you for the layout. I built it and it works/sounds great.

Regards Sven

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

anders
Great! That makes two verfied layouts in this thread. Thanks!

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

traktop
It´s suppose to "sound" like this one, right?

Re: Zvex '59 Sound

HamishR
Yup.  Obviously there are limits to how close it can get depending on amps used etc.  But it does a good job of capturing the sound of a 6L6 tweed being overdriven except that it doesn't get all wooly and nasty in the bass.  It actually improves on the tweed sound - at least with my rig - by staying tight, even though plenty of bass is available.

Thought I should also mention a mod which was suggested to me at FSB - you can replace the 470pF cap in the middle of the board with a 1n or 2n2 cap to increase the mids and make it a little more early Marshall sounding.  I used a 2n2 and man - it sounds great!

It shouldn't be too difficult to put various caps on a switch to change the sound, just as people do with a Big Muff.  The stock 470pF is a great rhythm sound and the 2n2 could be used as a lead boost.

Re: ZVex '59 Sound - Verified

Fred Russom
Sounds great 👍. 5k gain pot cleans up nicely and is a nice overdrive. 1k gain pot and its metal a/f. I thought about including the SHO with this but I think I’m going to install a 1k gain pot with a switchable 4k resistor.