a few basic questions

sevrien
This post was updated on .
Hello.

I'm completely new to electronics but I would like to make one of the verified layouts on this site.
I'm able to use a soldering iron and a multimeter but my complete lack of education in electronics result into a few guestions.

I'm a bassplayer so most of the layouts aren't suited for me unless I change the input and output capacitors. Or that's what I've been told.
Is the input and output the first cap I find when following the trace? Is it really that simple?

question 2,
My granddad left a lot of old Vu meters, voltmeters, ampmeters, etc when he passed away.
Is there a basic rule where to connect them into the circuit, lets just say as an input or output monitor?

kind regards
Sevrien

Re: a few basic questions

Zerikin
The input cap would be the first cap you come to tracing the signal path, yes. The output would be the last one in the signal chain. Depending on the exact pedal you might need to change other filters in it as well. You want to watch for High-pass filters as these would potentially pull off too much lows for the bass.

Re: a few basic questions

If I were you I'd strongly recommend starting with one of the effects suitable for bass:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/Bass

As Zerikin mentioned, the problem is that unless it's a very simple circuit, the likelihood is that there will be other filters elsewhere which may mean that any additional bass frequencies that are allowed to enter the circuit, will more and likely be removed later on before you get to the output cap.

If you do want to experiment with the input and output caps, keep it simple and choose a circuit like the Meathead which will benefit from the input and output cap changes.

Re: a few basic questions

Pavlos
Hey Mark, good to see you, did you ever get that bass you were thinking of a few months back?

How about the EHX Hogs Foot? very simple circuit and easy to find the schematic. Invest in a breadboard and a few jumper wires, experiment away while grinning from ear to ear :o)

Re: a few basic questions

sevrien
Thanks a lot.
I'll keep your advice in mind.
Any tips on those vintage VU meters I have?

Hey Mark, good to see you, did you ever get that bass you were thinking of a few months back?

How about the EHX Hogs Foot? very simple circuit and easy to find the schematic. Invest in a breadboard and a few jumper wires, experiment away while grinning from ear to ear :o)

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/a-few-basic-questions-tp44727p44732.html
To unsubscribe from a few basic questions, click here.
NAML

Re: a few basic questions

I built the hogs foot and ended up doing a lot of modification to it to get it where I was happy. I found it super boomy.

Re: a few basic questions

Pavlos wrote
Hey Mark, good to see you, did you ever get that bass you were thinking of a few months back?
Hi mate.  Yes I did.  I ended up getting the Ibanez SR-300E I was talking about.  This one:

It felt really nice to play and was in the right ballpark of what I wanted to pay.  I know there will be lots of better basses but even second hand I would have been paying more money and so this one just ticked all my boxes.

I'm happy with it too, it sounds good and for what I want it for it is more than enough.  I just want to be able to pick up a bass every so often and play a bit of Stone Roses

As always with my life something comes up with takes up a lot of my spare time, in this case two puppies, so I haven't had time to become the new Jaco yet, but I enjoy noodling when I get chance.

Re: a few basic questions

Pavlos
nice looking bassand Ibanez do make some very nice stuff so better ones? maybe? but define better main thing is that you got something that works for you and makes you want to pick it up and play, and isn't enjoying it the most important thing

puppies, two puppies!!! haha, you are a real glutton for punishment there, I have enough trouble just looking after myself!

Re: a few basic questions

Agreed. There’s too much brand and model hype out there. I always abide by the thought that it’s what feels right and sounds good to you. If it doesn’t you’re not going to play it and it won’t inspire you. I know I have my biases when it comes to basses, I’m a big G&L guy, not because they’re American and handmade, but because I love the tone and every single one I pick up fits my hand perfectly. Shit I bought a stupid rare L5000, 1 of 400 made when Leo was alive, without picking it up cause I knew the neck would be butter for me.

Re: a few basic questions

Silver Blues
I also agree. I'm definitely a bit partial to Ibanez (not least cause I dropped a bunch of cash on one of their basses recently lol) but they have some of the best quality control and consistent value for money I've seen out there. There's nothing really low-end about that bass, Mark (no pun intended, lol) and if you wanted to it wouldn't be a stretch to just pop in some new electronics because the wood and whatnot are just solid. If you're into the thin, fast necks, Ibanez has you covered too.

Re: a few basic questions

reddesert
The DOD Overdrive 250 (basically same as MXR Distortion+ ) is a fairly simple circuit that can work well on bass.

The subject of how to connect a VU meter or ammeter to a circuit is pretty large because it depends on what you are trying to measure and/or if you're just trying to make a cool display. I would look up resources on how to use and connect a meter (voltmeters and ammeters are connected to a circuit differently) and then experiment.