aliexpress... hit? or shit?

tabbycat
hey all,

have been eyeing up a couple of pedals on aliexpress. both less than £20 and both the sellers involved have a decent number of orders under their belts and high feedback ratings.

but am a bit anxious as this site is just outside of my amazon or ebay/paypal (or decent sites like bitsbox that accept paypal) comfort zone. they don't use paypal but escrow. not familiar with that.

have spent a while reading differing reviews of the site on various forums (which vary wildly between the poles, so inconclusive) so thought i'd put out a shout here to see if anyone has had a good experience with them?

what do you know?

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

Muadzin
I have no experience with them whatsoever. But methinks for less then 20 pounds its not that risky  taking the risk. If it works you got a new pedal for 20 pounds. If not, then the loss wasn't that great and you know what to avoid from now on. I've wasted more money on crap off eBay.

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

Have a read of this Tabbycat:

http://www.workfromhomewatchdog.com/is-aliexpress-com-a-scam/

I have never used Alibaba or Aliexpress, so have no personal experience to share. However, as I understand it, the feedback ratings cannot be relied on, as they relate purely to the shipping - no other factors ae taken into account.

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

tabbycat
This post was updated on .
Beaker wrote
Have a read of this Tabbycat:

http://www.workfromhomewatchdog.com/is-aliexpress-com-a-scam/

I have never used Alibaba or Aliexpress, so have no personal experience to share. However, as I understand it, the feedback ratings cannot be relied on, as they relate purely to the shipping - no other factors ae taken into account.
@beaker

thanks beaker, i saw that one and that was the one that put me off most. some positive experiences but enough negative ones to make me feel i don't want to get into something sticky for the sake of saving a few pounds.
i seem to permanently have some open case with chinese sellers on ebay anyway, so may as well follow the first rule of camping and keep shitting in the same corner.

if a few people here had posted and said, it's great, don't worry, i'd have had a go. but little enthusiasm possibly a sign. by a nice fluke, after deciding to stick to ebay anyway, i went back and found another seller had just posted what i was after with a fiver discount. so i win a cheap toy.

@muadzin

thanks muadzin. the £20 less of a concern than that my cc details could get passed on to some grubby spiv. keen to avoid that.

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

Vince
I've bought a shed load of stuff from them and still do and have never had any issue at all. From components (Resistors/Caps etc) to stompswitches. No faulty ones.

So my experience has been brilliant.

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

tabbycat
Vince wrote
I've bought a shed load of stuff from them and still do and have never had any issue at all. From components (Resistors/Caps etc) to stompswitches. No faulty ones.

So my experience has been brilliant.
thanks for the info, vince. can you recommend any sellers you keep going back to who are good for stomps and stomp-reated bits (cables, power, etc)?

Re: aliexpress... hit? or shit?

Vince
I've bought these switches before and they arrived pretty fast through DHL couriers. They put a low values too so I didn't get charged customs. Other than that I've bought from many different ones for resistors and caps

Seller; Ivy Cheng I've bought knobs from this seller too.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/45pcs-Lot-3PDT-Stomp-Foot-Pedal-Switch-True-Bypass-DHL-Free-Shipping/458831777.html

I did have one instance where a seller listed some capacitors as a 'pack' but later messaged me to say the price was just for ONE capacitor, I cancelled the order and received a full refund. That is the only one out of maybe 50 orders I've placed...