any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

tabbycat
basically i am looking for an end of signal chain (between pedal board and amp) equalizer just to tweak my tone to perfection.

when i do this with a mixer when recording demos 'tweaking' very often means boosting back some of the scooped mids with their respective grit to increase the middy growl. i don't notice this apparent lack so much when playing through an amp at volume, maybe because the room absorbs some of the top-end and bounces back the mids. but when i take the signal into my ten-track or di it seems toppy and a bit hollowed out.

would like to be able to nail that perfect tone with a stompbox eq as am hoping to play beyond my practice space next year and different spaces will call for different on-the-spot tweaking.

have been looking at the cheap clone eqs; the joyo 6 band apes the mxr, the behringer apes the ge7 (noisily so i hear), but wondered if i can build anything without too much agony that can better these?

have browsed through the eqs here and the anderton super tone control looks interesting, through perhaps a shade basic.

would anyone like to throw anything else 'worthy of consideration' into the mix? (see what i did there...)

Re: any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

clockman
I've built the Anderton super tone control. It may not be what you you're looking for EQ-wise for your rig... But seeing you've mentioned a quest for building synth stuff, it is a must have.

 I built it into a box attached to a gutted rogue wah for expression control of the frequency. It is an incredible filter. best luck in your endeavors.

Re: any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

motterpaul
This is only a tough one because EQs have a lot of components. Personally I use an MXR 10-band in my effects loop on my gig amp. I have it just before the reverb (which is last, except for the noise gate which is off most of the time anyway).

I find that I don't change it very often, and it really isn't set very drastically. It just adds a little clarity kind of like a buffer. So if you just had any kind of small gain boost (a BMP with LPB1) with a tone control that might be all you need.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/08/bmp-tonestack-w-lpb1.html

The main factor would be if the boost gives you undesirable noise. Then I might see what the buffers can do. The Cornish are good. Maybe try one coming right off your guitar and another one right after your last pedal leading into the amp.

Or there is always the Klon(e) . .

If a boost works but adds noise, you could try adding an LPF at the end and roll off the uber-highs until the hiss is gone.

Re: any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

kirshman
Ive been eyeballing this one.  Gonna gear up for it soon
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/4-band-gyrator-eq.html?m=1. You could ask savaas about it as it seems he built a working one.

Re: any byoc recommendations for an end of signal chain equalizer?

got to agree kirshman, although i've been eyeing the 8-band one. i think i'm a glutton for punishment though.