battery power drop?

Lord sonic
Hi all,
built the mosrite fuzzrite for a friend works fine with dc power adapter. The guy has asked for a battery snap to be fitted and I have obliged. Unfortunately there seems to be some kind of power drain happening? The battery is new, and reads 9volts there abouts on the meter, but the pedal sounds more like a weedy sounding boost than a fuzz? The circuit has 5mm led and 2.2 resistor for the led. I have never had this happen before, a noob problem no doubt! Any ideas? or solutions? Thanks in advance!