blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
Is there any difference between these?

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

You buying from BLMS?

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
theirs are all the same right?  That's where I usually buy them from, but I was looking on ebay and saw several black and some red on there from u.s. sellers.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Suzukiscottie
There are some minor physical size differences if that is an issue for you. Function is the same though.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

The ones from BLMS are all the same. As far as the ones on eBay, there's no telling.. Could be different manufacturers with different specs.

I wish I had an eBay seller I could recommend you, but I'm a little wary of the really cheap ones on eBay.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

My understanding is that there are 3 types: standard, pro, and premier. Usually the  standards are dark blue, pro is light blue/aqua, and premier is red. Now the thing is that I've seen some places, like blms, sell the pro and premier in different colors. Also, I've had all three and really the only difference is that the standards seem to not be as smooth as the pro or premier, and I couldn't tell the difference between the pro and premier. What I've found is that the ones that are cheap have a rough feeling on the plastic thst covers the pins, while the better quality ones feel smooth.

 If you want to wait, I'm going to order 100 of the better ones that I use for about $1.50 each, and if you want I would gladly split some with you. The reason there so cheap is thst you've got to order them 100 at a time. Yes they come from China, but I've had great luck with them, and like them. Their color is thst of the "pro" model of switches. I'm running low, I've only got like 30 3pdt's in stock. Lol

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Frank_NH

This is the one I use (from Mammoth).  Great switch.  Zach - are these the one's you're ordering?  If so, I'll split your order with you (I could use 10 or 20, whatever you can spare).

BTW - I have a separate storage container for "boxing" which consists of all the supplies I need to take a vero from naked board to finished unit (not including the enclosure itself).  It consists of:

* 3PDT switches
* Waterclear LEDs
* LED bezels
* 9V power jacks
* 1/4" Input/output jacks (Switchcraft or Neutrik)
* Knobs
* 3PDT boards from Vick Audio
* perfboard/foam for mounting

I periodically refresh these supplies as I get low (especially jacks and switches).

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
When you getting them in? I'd take 20 of them if they were coming pretty soon.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Those aren't them. I'll take a pic when I get home from work to show you. Theyre more blue then the ones from mamouth. I have no idea how long they would take to get here, I planning on ordering them today, so maybe I'll get them in 2 weeks or so at the latest.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
Yeah, if you could spare 20 i'd be in for sure.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

These are the ones I have and use all the time.

Side

Bottom

Now if you look the darker blue is the "standard" switch. Notice that there isn't as much epoxy around the bass of the pins, looks neater, has pointed edges, and isn't smooth looking on the sides. The other is the "pro" switch. The edges are curved, has more epoxy around the pins, doesn't look as meet, and has a smooth glossy finish.

I took some more time to play with both to see if there's any real differences in feel, quality, pop when engaged, etc. you know what I figured out? The "standard" is heftier in feel and when you press down on it, why I said before it's not as smooth, the holes in the pins are slightly larger making it easier to slide wires through, and no real difference in quality otherwise. In fact when I play with my effects with the different switches, I couldn't tell and difference until I opened up the back. I don't really think there's a difference between the different models other then they can charge more for the "premium" one and that you can get some of them in different colors like red or white too.

I've gotten both from the same seller on eBay, and they show the "pro" switches. I'm going to order the hundred now and see which come in, and if they're the "standard" I'm going to see if I can get them to give me some sort of refund or send more for free.

But here's the good news. I've got 20 of the "standards" right now, so if you want them I can figure out what it would cost from the new 100, and send them to you much sooner then waiting for these to show up. I can wait for the new ones to come in, especially if you could use them now. I'd have another 10 that I could use until the new ones showed up. Also, frank did you want to get some too?

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Frank_NH
Hi Zach.  Thanks for the explanation about the two switches (I think the standards are known as "Taiwan Blues").  I think I'll hold off for now - I've got some boxing to do before I need more, and I like the Mammoth switches.  Don't know if there is a Chinese reseller of those on eBay (I'll check).

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

I've been searching on eBay checking the ones out there for sale. The ones I could find were either the light blue "premiere" like I have or the "standards". I could be wrong, but I haut went onto mammoths site to see the switches they sell with the ones I've got, since mammoth sells all three versions. Now the more I look at them, the ones I think are "standards" could be the "pro" and the others are definitely the "premiere" model. The reason is that the epoxy that holds the lugs is definitely high temp, as the switches I've wired using them have taken more abuse when soldering. But, either way they're good switches and for $1.50 each you just can't beat it.

Also, on eBay the "premiere" is sold in the same color as mine, while the other ones are sold in black, dark blue, and white.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Dang, $1.50 per switch is a great deal. If there's any left over you could spare hit me up rocket

I never really noticed a difference in quality from mammoths different 3PDT models. The BLMS ones seem to be just as good for cheaper. I really don't recommend anyone shop with mammoth. Maybe it's just me, but those guys REALLY suck

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Will do man. I love blms, but to get them from him at this price I'd need to order 500 or more. If there's enough of us I would gladly make the order for 500 or so. One of the good things is that I would get them in probably get them in a day or two, because Brooklyn is right over the bridge form me. I do like supporting him, but at $1.50 a switch its hard to beat, and I know blms will. Beat a price, but I would think that it would be too much of a drop in price for him and I wouldn't want him to lose money on a deal.

I didn't make the order yet, so large there enough people to make a huge order from blms or should I order the ones from China?

I only have one experience with mammoth and it wasn't good. My order never showed up in a month, and they claimed they sent it 3 different times, and it was a fight to get a refund, so I try not to order from them if I can help it. I also feel like they're prices are a little on the high side. But, I'm glad to know the quality of their parts is good, just wish I got mine.....

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
I'm fine either getting some now or waiting.  I found a little stash of switches I forgot I had, obviously i've very organized.  Just let me know how much, and how to pay and I'll get it to you.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

Shoot me an email with your address so I can figure out cost of shipping. I'll try to send these out so you have them, in case I run into issues with the package. We'll do the payment through paypal, as that's how we all keep sending money for parts to each other to beat the system.

Re: blue, black, or red 3pdt

kirshman
Email sent through your account here.  Thanks!