breadboarding 101, suggestions?

Jon the Art Guy
While I'm waiting for the ability to go get some 24awg solid core wire in a variety of festive colors, I'd like to try out circuits on a breadboard. I have a 10-across size, and as I haven't done much of this before, would like some pointers if possible.

The biggest question I have is if I run out of horizontal room (which I will), can I just jumper the stuff down the breadboard to unused sections?

also, to people have on-breadboard sections delineated for "off board" sections, like switch wiring? I have both protoboard and some of those wacky Radio Shack mini protoboards for IC chips.

thanks!

Re: breadboarding 101, suggestions?

otalgiafx
Yes you can jumper to an unused row if you run out of space.  The shorter the better though as the jumpers can add unwanted noise in some higher gain circuits.

For pots I have a selection of values with connector wires to insert into the breadboard as needed.  Sometimes I use fixed resistors to test that the circuit actually works first and then

I love those Radio Shack proto boards ... built my first effects on them (Fuzz face, Electra, Distortion plus). Great fun.