byoc amp selector effect router

strassercaster
i have a request from a great friend to make an aby switch that doesnt have volume drop when you split to Y. first off will this do that? if not is there a pn ABY switch splitter that does? i was thinking i could add a buffer or something just try tonhelp him out he has a two and sometimes three amp rig.i have two old marshall and i was thinking this could be good for me.any advoce or a layout would be appreciated. thanks

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

Neil mcNasty
This is what I use for the task: http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm
It works like a charm!

I also built the BYOC Amp Selector some years ago, but I could never get it to work properly.
Later... I think I read that there was a whole lot of problems with the BYOC Amp Selector and that it was "on hold". Don't know if I remember correctly or if they have resolved the problem though...

Anyway, the AMZ JFet Splitter is brilliant, simple and has an amazing low parts count!

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

strassercaster
cool so i guess you build this and put it in the aby box and send the appropriate signals to the switches . no volume knobs?

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

Sensei Tim
Neil mcNasty wrote
This is what I use for the task: http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm
It works like a charm!

I also built the BYOC Amp Selector some years ago, but I could never get it to work properly.
Later... I think I read that there was a whole lot of problems with the BYOC Amp Selector and that it was "on hold". Don't know if I remember correctly or if they have resolved the problem though...

Anyway, the AMZ JFet Splitter is brilliant, simple and has an amazing low parts count!

bringing this back from the dead.

Have another request from someone else to build an AB box to allow him to run his bass with the following set up:

bass into AB splitter

signal A goes thru a pedal chain and into amp A
signal B goes thru a different pedal chain and into amp B

both amps have 3-prong power cables.

Will i need to use transformer isolation to eliminate a ground loop?

can i use isolated jacks and just have a ground lift switch on one of the two jacks?

is it worth adding a phase flipping circuit?

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

heuermh
I use the paramix (GuitarPCB) for this and similar use cases.  It has a phase flipping circuit.  I'm not sure if you'll need a ground lift, I've never needed it.

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

I'm interested in seeing how you resolve the ground loop with this setup

I had a really annoying ground loop when I hooked my Revibe build up to my amps. One way I could tell it was a ground loop was that if the amp was on, there was a loud buzz whether the Revibe was on or off which only went away when the Revibe was unplugged. I tried eliminating the ground loop by the cable that connects the two units together by disconnecting the shield at one end, but that made it worse

I built a copy of the ebtech hum x for under $20, email me if you want info on that. Ground loops suck!

Re: byoc amp selector effect router

Sensei Tim
built it this weekend with the AMZ splitter and used a stomp switch on each ouput to turn them on or off.

I used plastic REAN jacks for the input and 2 outputs.

No ground loops when tested with my 2 amps, but they were both on the same circuit.