converting boss / old dod to true bypass

converting boss / old dod to true bypass

lucas abela
anyone got any tips or instructions on how to convert boss style pedals to true bypass?

Re: converting boss / old dod to true bypass

nocentelli
Why?

Re: converting boss / old dod to true bypass

lucas abela
cause true bypass means the circuit is totally out when bypassed and your signal goes direct to the next pedal is why!!

both boss and old style dod pedals use momentary switches and i've seen some converted ones with true bypass stomps on them so was wondering if anyone has done it ?

Re: converting boss / old dod to true bypass

nocentelli
This post was updated on .
lucas abela wrote
cause true bypass means the circuit is totally out when bypassed and your signal goes direct to the next pedal is why!!
I know what true bypass means, I am more interested in WHY you want to convert them to true bypass.
Is the bypass on your BOSS/DOD pedals particularly noisy? Or tone-sucking? Or do you need to run them in front of a fuzzface or similar pedal that does not like a buffered signal?

There are a few pedals where the non-true bypass is really bad and the bypass system needs to be altered, but it's rare in BOSS/DOD pedals. Buffered bypass provides some real benefits (no click, preserves high end on long cable runs, keeps the bypassed and effected tonality similar in compressors/delays etc).

If you decide the benefits of TB outweigh the drawbacks, there are several ways - you could replace the momentary micro-switch with a mini DPDT, then use relays and millenium bypass to do TB and LED switching. Note that you will need to find room inside the case for the extra circuitry needed.

If you're handy with the mechanical sides of things, I've seen a standard blue chunky 3PDT bodged through the BOSS delay switch plate: it was actually quite cool because the stomp switch was hard bypass but the BOSS soft switch was wired as a momentary for max repeats or could be switched to tap tempo.