creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Hello,
I have been around for a few months now and this whole veroboard idea really rocks. Most of the pedals come out successful and i'm really happy with it, vero being the fastest way to come to the result :)

But for about a month now i've moved a bit to the PCB side, scouting around the internet looking for pcb ready to transfer circuits... not really a lot of results or gathered in a side. At first i tried ironing glossy toner paper, was really not that easy, even if cheap. for about a week now i'm into photo developing pcbs and then etching, and the results look exciting.

So, my proposal is, would it be nice to make like a sub-forum, or a sub-page, where we can start contributing PCBs made out of schematics we already have, for the more professional-looking style maniacs? :)

I'm all in the mood of making a guide like you have for the tagboard effects, and i've already made 3-4 circuits (not tested yet, soon to be) and i've more than keen to contribute to the community!

so, what do you think?

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

JaviCAP
Administrator
It could be an interesting question, if you want to deal with effects thar are barely imposible to be built with veroboard.

To get 99% of the circuits published on this web on PCB you just have to do a quick google search.

But, sorry if i seem rude, whenever i read something like:

vagos21 wrote
we can start contributing PCBs made out of schematics we already have, for the more professional-looking style maniacs? :)
it drives me mad.

PCB's are not more "professional", "best sounding" or all the rubish that many people claims. Their only advantage is that you can build more compact boards. I'm talking about this kind of  crap that most dyers use to make etching copper boards, made with rulers, ironing laser prints or some other home made methods, that get as result  shitty pcb's with thin and many times broken pads that get  rusted in a fornight,  an so on.

If I use veros is not because they're "cheaper", "easier" (much more difficult to solder a vero than a pcb by the way), but because is an ideal solution between PCB and Point to Point circuits.

If you like "professional" looking, and you prefer appearance over sound, get real proffesional made PCBs (two or three layers, masked, isolated)  and not crappy home etched boards.

D*A*M, Mountainking, even our friend and phorum member John Kallas, and many other proffesional, and I mean professional as people who earn their lifes with this work, use vero as board base.

Don't  get confused between "professional" and "good looking", and don't forget too that a pedal effect is something for your ears, not  for your eyes.

BR

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Don't get me wrong JaviCAP, i'm not one of those geeks who want crystal sound, i've read hundreds of forums and arguments about their difference in sound and quality and i know it's none, i just proposed this for a better looking board than the vero. I agree in cheaper and faster, i wrote that too. Yes ofcourse there's no difference in sound, it's just for the fun of it :) Some might like to etch their own pcbs, i personally find it fun ;)

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

JaviCAP
Administrator
Ok Vagos, now I  get it :)

Do you really like to etch? I find it quite boring and dangerous at home, with two kids aged 3 and 7  you can suppose :P.

Anyway, I'll always prefer a vero or a point to point, just use pcb's when the effect is impossible to be made on vero, and then use to order the pcb's, as luckily there are some great high quality pcb boards ready to be purchased.

BR

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

Geiri
I'm not being rude here, just pointing out following up what Javi said. I've heard people saying that PCBs are "better" or more "pro" than vero. That's not true. I've seen PCBs that look SHIT compared to many veros out there. I've seen some amazing builds using vero and they looked just as pro as some of the top manufacturers out there.

I once saw this guy selling some Klon buffers on eBay (I won't mention his name..) where he stated in the description very clearly that his buffers were made on professional high-quality PCBs, not the cheap and amateur veros. I gave the guy a real hard time for this and told him that he's no better than us that use veroboards. He said that PCBs with solder pads that are on both sides are much more reliable. Now how on earth are they more reliable? Because the components are moving so much that they're gonna come loose inside? Don't even try to bullshit me like that!

Anyways, I like PCBs. They're a great way of building lots and lots of the same circuit.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

Vince
The only PCB's I etch are the Dallas Arbiter original Fuzz Face as it looks so damn Mojotastic!

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Yes i agree etching can be dangerous with kids at home :)

and Geiri i still support your idea too, we made clear that they're not better sounding or anything. It's just that some people like to etch hehe :)

and i intend to make them nice looking, nothing like round random angle shaped things i see all over the internet :)
For example, something like this (guitar preamp with tone control) it's just that i prefer to etch my own (10Euros for an A4 size pcb, compared to 10Euros this would cost itself to buy)
pcb

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

dexxyy
Personally I don`t see the point in a sub section for pcb layouts for circuits we already have for vero. Firstly, there are only a handful of layouts here that don`t fit in a 1590b so what are the benifits of pcb apart from perceived aesthetics. Secondly wether they look any better is purely subjective, some may think vero looks better, some may think pcb looks better, others, like myself, might not give a flying fuck as long as it sounds good  Both are only a means of connecting components, there is no difference in sound. Just as there is a perception amongst some that pcb`s are more professional and better looking, there is equally a misconception that point to point has some mystical mojo and sounds better, both are myths, component quality will make a difference, not how they are connected.
Having said that, I would be all for a sub section for pcb layouts not available on vero, While vero is my preferred medium, i am not averse to etching the odd pcb to obtain a pedal i may want. Otherwise I couldn`t have built my 9v electric misstress, madbean loophole (both pcb`s courtedy of Milkit, thanks dude), and zvex seek wah, sansamp gt2, cave dweller and a dod fx25 that i etched boards for myself.
If diyers end up with shitty pcb`s with thin and broken traces then THEY haven`t done the job right, this is nothing to do with the media and definitely nothing to do with the guys who take the time to draw up and publish the layouts.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Ok then, how about drawing some PCBs for the difficult-to-be-veroed schematics? Where can i find some to give it a shot? :)

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

Surgeon
I like vero as it's quite convenient but there's something fun about etching/drilling and all that.

I'm all for a sub-section, there's nothing to be lost about having people share some pcb layouts... I assume we're all open-minded enough to allow PCBs aren't we?

And if it doesn't work: vagos, please share your layouts anyways, I'd love to see/use them if you wanna share.

Cheers!

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

Vince
I agree with Surgeon, there is something cool about etching etc. It's creative, from board all the way to boxed pedal.

I think you should post whatever PCB layouts you have. I'm not a fan of rules, in fact, I f**king hate them.

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
This post was updated on .
well Surgeon, if i didn't want to share them i wouldn't be here ;)
That's the whole point of this, to share some creative work, not argue about what's better. You like to etch? here's some pcbs for you. You don't like to etch? use the huge amazing database of veros :)
So, how could we organise it well? Actually, i'd like to hear the opinion of the veterans like mirosol and mark, how it can be done so it will be worth it.
Cheers!

Edit: i just did the ruby amp, i know it's simple, but it's just another sample. ofcourse final layouts will be in pdf, to get the right scale ;)

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

GoranP

If we are going to do this, it'd be nice to also have the original project files, Eagle/DipTrace/DIYLC/whatnot...

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
GoranP wrote
If we are going to do this, it'd be nice to also have the original project files, Eagle/DipTrace/DIYLC/whatnot...
I'm using Fritzing is it ok? ( total noob in pcbs :D )

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

GoranP

I tried fritzing for a while but didn't like it for actual pcb work much. It's pretty and all and that breadboarding bit is fun but once you get down and dirty there are a few unpolished bits. Mind you, it's been over a year since I tried it last, perhaps they ironed out a few bugs.
So why not, you just link what you have. Luckily, if I recall correctly, fritzing has gerber export?

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Well some tiny bugs are ok, i only wish the silkscreen could be more customizable :)
Yes i see it's got export for Extender Gerber RS-274X.

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

alltrax74
I see no harm in addind a pcb section so I'm all for it !

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
Ok i started working on this beast...

EHX guitar micro synth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJdTCn7GfbM

anyone knows which pots exactly are used there? 20mm slide pots?
Unlike the original one, there will be no SMD parts included , so it's gonna be a triple-decker! :D

I guess it's worth it for a PCB? :) i'll try to make it smaller than the original box, but it's still the beginning and we'll see!

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

vagos21
This is after the 2nd check of connections, will run through a final one tomorrow, but here's how it looks!
It will be 3 boards on top of each other (crazy!) , the big boards being about 4x3"!  But one thing for sure, it's gonna be an expensive build with all these components, if it works i'll go crazy! :D

Re: creating PCBs for effect pedals

GoranP

Man this is SO cool!!!

Can't wait to see the finished product. When you pull it off I'm definitely building one.
Which sliders did you end up using?
12