delay lines from this IC being fed into MN- or PT- style IC, will it work?

delay lines from this IC being fed into MN- or PT- style IC, will it work?

notnews
This post was updated on .
Hey all,

I stumbled across this IC today:
http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-2303970805987498249

from the datasheet linked above:
"The DS1000-IND series delay lines have five equally spaced taps providing delays from 4 ns to 500 ns"

I've seen pedals that emulate the echorec, with multiple delay lines/taps you can use to create syncopated, rhythmic delays.. essentially multiple copies of the same signal delayed for different amounts of time so the periods end up overlapping and creating interesting patterns and rhythms. The pedals I've seen that emulate these multiple taps use either the PT- ICs or BBD ICs, solely, to do this.

I'm not super familiar with the intricacies of the MN- style BBD chips, but I had a thought... could you use this DS1000 style chip to feed a different IC to create a (in this case) 5-tap delay sound? Rather than using a bunch of PT or BBD ICs to generate multiple delay lines, maybe you could feed a different IC with 5 delay lines from the DS- IC. We can use the DS to create the 5 initial delay lines, then exaggerate (multiply) the difference in their delay times using a CMOS IC (not sure if there is a CMOS IC that does this)... or send the 5 delay lines to a PT chip and delay each of them differently from there? At that point I'm not sure if using this DS- IC saves us any effort or circuit space though.

The only issue I could think of is the response time of the other ICs. Can a BBD or PT IC tell the difference between a signal delayed 4ns and a signal delayed 10ns, for example? I'm unsure, but can imagine these delay times being too small and too close together for the other ICs to lack the ability to discriminate between them, and things would either be really glitchy or just not work at all.

Anyway, just a thought and something I came across that I wanted to share.. I haven't seen these DS- ICs mentioned in music DIY before (maybe for good reason), but in case someone here is extremely good with circuit theory maybe they can find a use for it.

For easy reference in case anyone needed to take a look at these for the technical data:
PT2399: http://www.spelektroniikka.fi/kuvat/2399.PDF
MN3207 (example MN datasheet): http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Datasheets/MN3205.pdf