dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
just finished drawing this....and...
i'll start building this right now..i know it's agly with all these wires and standing resistors(sorry...), but i think that for those big schems, there is no other way to get them on vero.
enjoy

cheers
Savvas
mug

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

mug

You're a true veromaniac

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
guys!

first of all, this layout has 2 mistakes that i'll update later today.

i need some help from the more experienced friends here.
i've build this...but
my zener diode is getting really hot.i don't remember the watts, but it's a 8,2.
what should i do?should i search for higher watt value?

other than that i have signal passing thought, and a very annoying microphonic-like "delayed signal" in parallel with a clean signal, that somehow reacts with the delay and fdbk pots.i'm working on it...

also there is a great possibility that my cool audio chips and the ne570 are fakes...unfortunatelly i bought them from polida on ebay...along with some lt1054 which were definately fake...i don't know maybe i'm just loosing my time here...

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

Ciaran Haslett
This post was updated on .
You mixed up D4 and D5 in your notes.  The zener should come after the 100r and its voltage drop.  This then forms VD voltage which should power your 3205's.  They are currently powered by VC (9v).

Or maybe these are the mistakes you already found?

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
Nope...that is one i didn't saw...thanks mate..i'll report back asap.

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hey! now that i'm on my pc, i see that actually the diode is as it's in the schematic..
strange...i've read somewhere that there must be a combination of a zener and a resistor, but with the schematic, my layout it as it should...

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Dirtbag/DirtBagDeluxe.pdf

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

Ciaran Haslett
This post was updated on .
You sure?

VC= Direct from the power supply....9v if using a 3205 or 15v if using a 3005...so directly from the 9v socket in your case.

The dotted box top right says that S1 and S2 are connected to VD, not VC as you have it drawn (the flying red wire).

So if your 9v connection stays as is on the layout, then D5 must be the 1N4001 (parallel protection) and D4 must be the zener (9v > 100r > zener > 3205)

EDIT...doing this on a phone and mixed up D4 AND 5.  So to confirm..your D5 must be the 1N4001 and D4 must be the zener

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
how could i make such a mistake!
dude thanks!

i was so sure that VD was directly from 9v...i read the schem as if it was text...from left to right, and so i made all supplies wrong..!!that's why i was getting 6V or so at tl072 pin8...!!

such a newbie mistake in such a big project...thanks again mate. i'm running to my lab to make it sing 9after i make those corrections...)

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
This post was updated on .
corrected the powering mistake, and two others i found.one round the upper tl074, and one round 4047

fingers crossed!!!

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
still nothing...my voltages are all good but i have a very loud annoying sound like a dronein parallel with a clean sound. the strange thing is that it starts right from the first 100nf input cap!!!(i've changed that but nothing...)does the circuit generates that sound somewhere and feeds it back to the input???i don't know...i think i'll leave it for today...

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

Ciaran Haslett
You still working on this Savvas?  You're missing a cut between the 570 pin 10 and the 074 pin 7.

Other than that it matches the schematic perfectly.

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
thanks mate...yeap...i've found that last night..also there is a missing cut under 150Ω near output, and the 100nF from pin8 of the first v3205 to ground is wrong. i has to be from VD to ground. i've also made a mistake with the mods for less distortion, but fixed that too. i 've checked everything point to point but nothing...i'm starting to believe i have fake ics...i think i'll order some ne570 and v3205 from a reliable source.
any recommentations?
smallbear maybe?

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
update!!!
i desoldered fdbk 2 so i can probe my board without the whiny-drone sound that was "feedbacked" all over the place.now i can have one desent repeat out of both pin3 of the BBDs.the annoying sound is still there but very quiet. it kicks in after 16k R33, between ic3a and ic3b, or in my board, at the top tl074 under pin7 at the connection of 2x16k and 2,7nf

any ideas?
thanks
Savvas

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
This post was updated on .
got it!
we have a dmm on vero!
the f$%^er at my lockal shop gave me 24Ω for 24k and i used them for that 24,3k...i just through inside a 25k and nailed it!
i'll update the layout on that cut Ciaran found too, and i think i'll make an other one with the distortion mods and without the useless LED and the transistor. but...bottom line...it works!
i'll try to post a demo in the next days
thanks once again Ciaran for your time and help!
cheers
Savvas

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

Ciaran Haslett
Excellent man!!!  That's a great Christmas present for us lol.

Looking forward to a demo for deffs.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
and here is the final verified layout.

please...take your time...i've spend at least 16 hours debugging. with some not verified ics. i basically build this thing to see if they are working. if you ever try this, please read madbean's pdf, and be patient.

enjoy.

this and the "rust bucket" were my nemesis.
now i can rest for christmas
ah...not...next project!
(any ideas?)

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

notnews
The Dirtbag and Rustbucket were surely monsters that you made your bitches. Amazing work!

If the DJ is taking requests, I'd like to throw the Micro Synth into the ring. I know you mentioned in the past that you had started working on it, or at least had started considering it. I would LOVE to build that pedal up.. I'm totally willing to put my efforts and (limited in comparison to some others on this forum, including you for sure) knowledge to good use on that project..

But, whatever you decide to tackle next, I'm sure it will be extremely well-received and welcomed!

Happy holidays all.. and thank you again Sav for this masterpiece.

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

notnews
oh.. maybe I could ask this question here..

before I lost about a dozen effects to a water heater bursting in my basement (while all my effects were plugged into the wall... all circuits totally fried), I had a memory boy. I fell in love with that short-delay, chorused, ghostly metallic sound you can coax out of that box.

What would it take to trim down this DMMan and turn it into a MB? It's got the same sine/square modulation switch, feedback, mod speed, etc settings... I was hoping someone here could shine some wisdom down on the topic.

thanks again guys.. peace and love

Re: dirtbag...an ugly one...

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
thanks for your kind words mate!
yes...i started micro synth but i wanted to use 13700 ics so that more people can build it. well...i somewhere stuck in that conversion...sorry..
i promise it will be the next big one!!!

as for the memory boy, i read that it's the same thing with DMM, but with internal trimmers for the controls that missing. maybe i'm wrong, and what i said is for the memory toy...i don't know..
maybe someone else has an idea???
cheers