dual shaft concentric pots...

Sensei Tim
Hey guys.  i'm looking for a dual shaft concentric pot like this one from smallbear

but i was hoping to find it in a 16mm format with solder lugs.

am i SOL on this?  soldering to the solder pins on that 9mm pot is a real pain...

Re: dual shaft concentric pots...

i haven't seen any. but what i read that silver and beaker do is they make a little loop with the wire and solder that to the pin. makes life a million times easier, and makes pcb pin not really an issue to use.

Re: dual shaft concentric pots...

Sensei Tim
yeah i usually don't have an issue with pins if there's only one row of them, but having 2 rows makes it incredibly awkward to get to the bottom row...

Re: dual shaft concentric pots...

Beaker
What value pot are you looking for Tim?

You should be able to track down 16mm or 24mm pots with lugs, but only usually in 250k or 500k values as they are sometimes used in guitars.

16mm with pins are usually easy to find in a wider range of values. What I have done when I used these is to leave the top (nearest the shaft) row of pins sticking out straight, and bend the bottom row of pins back to a 90 degree angle. This really help to make more room to get your soldering iron in to make the connections. I always wire the top row up first, before tackling the bottom row. Finally, I always slip a piece of shrink tubing on the wire first, then slide it down over the pin when cooled. This helps prevent any shorts.

I've not tried using those minature pots though - I can see them being a right PITA to solder!

Re: dual shaft concentric pots...

Sensei Tim
i need 100k log.

i usually don't mind soldering to pcb pins - 16mm PCB pots are easy to solder to, but these pins are about 1/2 the size plus 2 rows of them