jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

tabbycat
if you like mean wasps, and you like aggresive filters, you'll love the aggressively mean jurgen haible wasp filter.

build doc for the etchable haible clone pcb version by the here, including schematic: http://modular.fonik.de/pdf/Wasp%20Filter%20clone.pdf

original edp wasp filter schematic here: http://modular.fonik.de/files/wasp_org.jpg

demo here: things get sexy from 1m00s in.

the clone (and original) ran at 5v but may be tweakable to go at 9v happily. though that may destroy the buzzy raspy distortion that gives it its particular tonal character.

anyway, if anyone fancies a crack at it, all the essential info is here.

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

For the 5V most of us already have 7805 regulators for PT2399 builds so that's a one part fix to run it with a 9V supply

For the two CA3080 I would sub an LM13700

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

tabbycat
Travis wrote
For the 5V most of us already have 7805 regulators for PT2399 builds so that's a one part fix to run it with a 9V supply

For the two CA3080 I would sub an LM13700
 thanks for the recommendation re subs, travis.

have got a spare 13700 on the way having just bought two (ms-20 filter build + spare) so that's a timely tip.

basically i was thinking of trying to run the whole circuit higher for phatter bass. the 13700 can take 16v-32v i think, so would fit the bill. have come to realise that power seems to be a far bigger issue with synth stuff than guitar, maybe because synth distortion is less 'useable' (for general purposes, everything has its uses) than guitar distortion.

i have a monotron which i really like as a simple tool for quickly generating interesting (dirty & atmospheric) waves, but its fatal flaw is its low running voltage. it dies on its raspberry arse in the lower register, which really limits its uses. i can't pump that higher as smd caps (traumatic to replace) are rated at 6.5v, but i would if i could.

"...heard kraftwerk in '81, has a wasp synthesiser..."

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

Let me know how that MS-20 filter build turns out!

I'd love to build some of this modular stuff along with you but I don't have a synth to use it with. Building a synth would be a really cool project but where to begin??

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

SonusFluxa
Check out the VCO that I've posted in the CMOS melody generator thread. An audio oscillator is the first step, and then you can add whatever you'd like! I've been working on layouts from schematics from these two threads on electro-music:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-374525.html

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66787

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

SonusFluxa
By the way Tabby, I'm wrapping my head around the 13700 in place of of 3080 swap, but want to try laying this out if possible. However, I'm sure someone can probably do it faster (and with less standing resistors).

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

To swap in the LM13700 first look at the datasheets where it shows the pinouts. You will see how it's one OTA on each side of the 13700. It might help to write the matching pin of the CA3080 over the 13700 pinout, then reference that to replace the pin numbers on the schematic itself with the correct pin numbers for the 13700

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

SonusFluxa
If I'm using it in place of the two 3080s, should I just ignore the diode bias pins?

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

Yes you can leave them and the buffers unconnected and it will act like a CA3080

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

Alex
Done one yesterday and came out 23 x 23 (no standing resistors)
Layout was a bit of a pain.

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

SonusFluxa
I got mine down to 23x21, just posted in unverified. I laid this out with either box caps or these in mind to utilize the maximum amount of space. Forgive the trespass of standing resistors ヾ(_ _。)

EDIT: Used the PDF schematic.

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

Alex
Nice layout!
This was the version I've drawn:

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

Hozy31
Found another YT clip of something that might be similar. https://youtu.be/axbGyuGrayo He's also not using it with a guitar but it sound like it has potential to sound pretty kick ass with a guitar. Another for the build list.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: jurgen haible edp wasp vcf filter clone

tabbycat
many thanks indeed for the layout, alex. will flip a coin between yours and sonus' depending on the flat resistor upright resistor factor. flat easier and quicker to build, but if i have a smaller piece of vero floating around to use up i might brave the upright. spoiled with the luxury of two layouts to choose from for this one. untold vero riches to be had here.

have you built it and what did you think?