looking for a 12 channel looper enclosure

looking for a 12 channel looper enclosure

Sensei Tim
I've been looking for a 12-channel looper enclosure but i'm not having much luck finding anything big enough at the usual suspects (smallbear, mammoth, PPP, etc)

I found one place online that sells a kit, but they're asking stupid high prices..

Re: looking for a 12 channel looper enclosure

Beaker
Tim, I would suggest you look at pressed galvanised steel electrical enclosures as one option. Just as strong as a cast  Hammond style enclosure, but much cheaper.  They come in a whole range of sizes too.

Something like this, at 12"x12"x2":

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanised-Steel-Adaptable-Mounting-Box-Electrical-Enclosure-300-x-300-x-50mm-/290709911420?hash=item43afa9377c

Alternatively, if you want a long strip style enclosue for the front of a pedal board, you could use 50mmx50mm (2"x2") galvanised electrical trunking and lid. You can cut it to your exact length, fit the caps to the ends, and mount the switches in a row.

Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50mm-Steel-Galvanised-Cable-Trunking-x-3-Meter-PT50-Q2-/321992112339

Note this is for a three metre length - enough for several loopers!

Any electrical wholesalers will stock it, and if you know any electricians, they might have offcuts for cheap or free.

I built a looper strip for a friend's pedalboard out of this stuff a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong.

Worth a look.

those look cool!    how does galvanized steel drill compared to aluminum, tho?  i would imagine that it's much tougher...

Re: looking for a 12 channel looper enclosure

Beaker
Yes it is a harder material but the walls are much thinner. Any drill bit able to cut aluminium enclosures will cut these - as long as it's sharp.

ALWAYS centre punch first, and keep the drill speed fairly low. Clamp the enclosure down to your work bench if possible with a piece of wood between. This will stop the drill snatching and kicking the enclosure round onto your fingers. The piece of wood behind will help minimise burrs.

If you have a pillar drill you will get best results, but even if you use a battery pistol drill it is easy.

Re: looking for a 12 channel looper enclosure

motterpaul
I just noticed that this vendor (who is from my old home town - Phoenix) has a large variety of enclosures: https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/enclosures?page=1