not a stomp request

vahnrondel
First of all, thanks to the people who made and still contributing to this site especially to |v|ark and Mirosol... Because of this site I learnt how to do electronics stuff and I am able to use my builds to my gig... YES! these stompboxes are in my pedalboard. using it all in live and recording situation...

THANKS TO YOU GUYS!!!

HERE IS NOW MY REQUEST...

I know it will be hard to do this... I am not expecting that this will be granted...
Is it possible to add the transistors and ICs in the tag? because sometimes I have a specific IC and I want to find out what stomp/s I could make using this IC... It would be easier if there is a tag and then list of all stomps using this specific IC will prompt. In my opinion, it can be an upgrade to the site...

I know it will take a lot of time... If I could be of any help, please let me know, I am also an IT and can handle programming languages...

Thanks!!!

Re: not a stomp request

nocentelli
Most pedal schematics or layouts specify an IC part number because that was the particular IC used in the original pedal; However, it is very often the case that a wide variety of different of ICs will work perfectly well instead. The most common type of IC used is probably a dual opamp, and most common duals will generally work fine in most circuits. There may be certain particular circuits where a specific IC is recommended (e.g. low current draw opamps like a TL062 to reduce the likelihood of ticking in an LFO or a 2262 where it needs to be able to operate rail-to-rail) but if you had a bunch of TL072s and searched for all the layouts tagged with "TL072", you would only see a small fraction of circuits that could be built using that device.

Re: not a stomp request

Neil mcNasty
This is a request that we have seen here before.
And if I remember correctly, the question was more about including a whole BOM list, and the response was that it was a bit difficult to do it on this web platform.
BUT! To include just the Transistors and ICs involved, could be done in the tag section, but it's quite a big task to go trough all the layouts and update the tags.

I have to admit that this is a very desirable function/feature.

Re: not a stomp request

Neil mcNasty
nocentelli has a very good point here!
Many are way too much focused on getting the correct parts for a pedal build, when in fact you can use many other parts without any noticeable or big changes to the sound.
Don't wait for that correct part! Use what you got and get it up and running!
If it asks for a dual Opamp, put a TL072 in there.
If it askes for a 2Nsomething... Put a 2N3904 or a 2N5088 in it and it will work.
There are of course some exceptions to this when dealing with some pedals, but 90% of the time your build will work and sound good!

A good tip is to use sockets for the Opamps and the Transistors, so that you can change them and experiment.
That way you'll learn a lot, you might find your favorite transistor, and also find out how much/little the changes has on the effect...

Here is a brilliant guide to this subject

Re: not a stomp request

Some great looking builds there vahnrondel! Welcome to the forum.

Neil is absolutely right with that link on Keen's Law - please do yourself a favour and read it. It was a huge help to me when I started building.

Using only the specified parts will lead you to a paint - by - numbers approach to pedal building. The Keen's Law method that Neil is reffering to is far superior. Just get the thing working using whatever you've got available. You will learn far more, and far quicker too.

Pretty soon you will be modifying and adapting circuits to get them to do exactly what you want them to do, rather than just copying what some somebody else thinks is a good idea.

Re: not a stomp request

Marbles
Thanks for this link!

I also had the same idea as the topicstarter: To build a database with a search function where you could say: I have this IC and this transistor, what layouts are there with this combo? Preferably also with the category.

I have some weird IC's for instance and no idea if they can be used. It would be awesome to be able to search: This IC in the category Fuzz.

But yeah, I'm not that good :D

I totally agree with your descrription Beaker, paint by numbers.. That's what I'm doing now. The results are there, but yeah, I sometimes (read: most of the time) have no idea what I'm doing. These laws would def help.

Re: not a stomp request

Beaker
"I totally agree with your descrription Beaker, paint by numbers.. That's what I'm doing now. The results are there, but yeah, I sometimes (read: most of the time) have no idea what I'm doing. These laws would def help."

Believe me buddy, I really don't know what I'm doing most of the time!

My knowledge of electronics theory is very limited indeed, so unlike Induction, Travis or John K for example, I can't look at a schematic and know what is going on, what to change or more importantly, why.

What I can do though is use my sense of curiosity to try different things to see if they work or not. Not an ideal solution, but hey, it's a start.

Re: not a stomp request

Marbles
A good one though.. I should do that more often. Maybe that will be easier once i have a few more builds under my belt (if that's a correct saying).

I started reading some books, but never do the lame experiments. Which is very dumb, because they will teach me step by step what's going on.

And another thing I know will help me understand: Breadboarding..

But yeah, that's intimidating still haha one day. one day....