one knob noise gate

Sensei Tim

built this a few months ago but finally got around to testing last night.

Q1 and Q2 are bc549,  q3 is 2N7000 (yes, i flipped the transistor) and i used a B50k pot

I think this is working as i can hear the background hum reduce as i adjust the pot, but it sounds like it's gating overly aggressively and makes the guitar tone sound farty.  I put it in front of a klon pedal if that makes a difference.

will post photos tonight, but i've run a pick between all of the traces to make sure there are no solder bridges.
mug

Re: one knob noise gate

mug
Hey Tim, B50K worked fine in my build (also with a 2N7000) so I guess that should be ok. Didn't like it though and never boxed it since I love notes ringing out forever and such noisegates cut that sooner or later...
I didn't feel it reduced background noise (I mean during playing) but rather cut everything below the threshold - if this was set to high I also got farty sounds. Does this appear also at low threshold settings?

Re: one knob noise gate

Sensei Tim
It seems like almost everything is sounding farty lol

I was hoping that this could be integrated into an OD pedal to use as a boost for a high gain amp to really help tighten up the sound but it doesn't seem like this will work very well.

Re: one knob noise gate

wannesg
Hi,

did you figure this one out? I have the same problem with my build: sounds farty, and gates very aggressively. I used a BS170, and BC548B.

Re: one knob noise gate

bekti
Hi Im new learner
I have bought all the component. and where I can find the bottom line (soldered) so I can follow. with that picture I don't know nothing. would you share it to me?
thank you.