parts question

kirshman
Hey everyone. Got my first order from our Bulgarian friend and thanks for the tip, they're awesome!  Got some extras and not sure what they are.  The first one is a black diode looking thing that says 8802 on it, also looks like it has a symbol and an 18 on it.  the other looks like some of my other germanium diodes.    It's got the glass cylander with 2 red ends and a gray stripe around it.  Not sure if that's enough info.  I sent them an email too, but was wondering if you guys knew.  So got some mp38s and am ready to knock out a germanium giant and was wondering what else they'd be good for.  Also got some 2n2222s.  any suggestions for those?  Thanks guys!

Re: parts question

Silver Blues
Haha that's hilarious, I got exactly the same extras from him when I ordered my 1T308Vs. The black diode is a Soviet D18 germanium, and the glass diodes are SFD106 germaniums. The symbol on the D18 is just the Cyrillic letter De, which translates to English as "D".

Those transistors would be good for a variety of drives and fuzzes. If you see a layout on this site that calls for an NPN germ, give them a try. The 2222 is one of the most ubiquitous NPN BJTs in the industry, anywhere you see a 2N5088 or 2N3904 or any other general purpose transistor called for you can pop in one of the 2222s and see if you like it.

Re: parts question

tabbycat
hey kirshman, don't know about your diodes (that has been well answered above) but the 2n2222 you will learn to love. they are great for fuzzes.

i put some in one of these i built last weekend
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/shin-ei-fy-2-companion-fuzz-with-mods.html (thanks miro)
and it stings for a fuzz, very evil.
2n2222 are like 2n3904 and 2n5088, they are swiss-army-knife fuzz transitors. any time you need a high gain tranny for a fuzz they will very often get you through.

btw if you are just getting into buying bits i can highly recommend reading these two excellent articles:

first by miro here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/p/components.html

and this by rg keen, who is a wise man re stomp boxes and whose name you will come across a lot as you get deeper into the dark art:

http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/keenslaws.htm

Re: parts question

Ha ha! Me too!

Kirshman, take a look at this link. It will help you to de-cypher the Cyrillic letters on some of those components:

http://stevemorse.org/russian/rus2eng.html

Just click on each character, and it will give you the nearest English equivalent.

And Tabbycat is right - you can use 2N2222 anytime a build suggests 2N3904, 2N5088 etc.

I really like the 2N2222 - more treble fizz than other transistors. Great for Superfuzz, Shin-Ei Fy-2, Fuzzrites etc. And easily the best choice fo Anders' Conrad Buzztone layout (along with an MP38).

2N2222 are my favourite Si NPN transistor.