phat lardacious monkey balls

pjp666

here's a video demo, not sure how to embed it

<nabble_embed>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbjplhlpKI</nabble_embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbjplhlpKI

my latest little dirt box. i figured out a way to cheat and use the feedback loop of one of the q's for a low loss tone control that works great on this circuit. haven't tried it on anything else yet, but am gonna try on a couple things on my bench.

i mean lots of us use small caps in feedback loops to tame noise and hiss. well, if ya use a small cap and a big cap tied together on one end, with the free ends going to a pot, you can fake a variable cap, right? well, if ya have a variable cap in the feedback loop, you can vary the treble cutoff of that stage... without fucking up the gain too badly... pretty minimally, in fact, compared to the usual bmp style ones.

anyways, for all intents, this is a FAL treble booster front end driving the snots out of one of my stupid simple boost/overdrives. it also has a "phat" control which allows ya to tune it between just treble boost (to the left) and a more normal full range boost (to the right)

you may wanna make the 1k e resistor on q` a 1 or 2 k pot, but i think 4 knobs is enough.

monkey is bias. from starved and farty to various sweet spots to the default cranked "safe zone".

lardacious lets ya decrease the thinness... left kinda muted and right screamy almost octave up, especially if the phat control is way down. this is the weird tone control implementation.

i've toyed with putting the two fake caps on a dual gang pot and putting it in a wah shell for a kewl weird fuzz wah

with your guitar cranked, it is VERY fuzzy. turning it down will yield good things, you can sweep from very clean to very distorted just right from your guitar. anyways, if you're bored, check it out.

i have a limited number of boards for this too if anyone is interested in them

hope if ya try it ya like it.
rock on!
PjP
wha, me worry?

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

Ciaran Haslett
Nice one Jimi!  Really liked how tight the chords sounded.

...and a schematic drawn on Eagle  You've changed maaaaaaannnn

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

PMowdes

Great to see you posting on here Jimi.

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

pjp666
hey hey
glad ya duggit

build one

schem? thanks to phil moulder ;)

my schems are always shitty and hand drawn ;)

hola phil too!!`
wha, me worry?

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

pjp666
thanks phil for all, mate!! ;)

used this thing again last nite. never even turned the fuzzface on ;)

to ME, thats GOOD ;)

the video sounds a lot fuzzier than the actual unit i think. i hate what digital data compression does to guitar tones!!
wha, me worry?

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

PMowdes

Jimi

I can't take credit for that schematic, that one was by the other guy over in DIY.  Mine was much nicer ;)

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

pjp666
true dat phil,
and the boards are gonna be awesome, can't wait for 'em to arrive.
i built one of the clipper boards ya sent me, works and sounds perfect.
you rock my friend ;)
wha, me worry?

Re: phat lardacious monkey balls

pjp666
thanks to phil, i got some pcbs made if anyone is interested, feel free to contact me.
i'm asking 20 shipped in the usa, or plus shipping elsewhere and will include the proper silicon q (mpsa06) for the circuit so no fucking around required.
thanks and if ya build this thing, and diggit, let me know.

rock on

unca panky
wha, me worry?