power filter/ protection

vick
Forgive my ignorance but I am going to wire 2 effects into the same box and was thinking of doing a small vero to put a power protection diode and power filter cap

does this look?  is it fine to have one filter cap or would I be better off branching out the power supply and using a cap on each?

thanks in advance!

Re: power filter/ protection

Almost all the layouts on here has the filter cap anyway and the only time I omit them is if there is a possibilty that the cap will affect the effect, like happens sometimes with more extreme fuzz pedals which can be "tamed" by the filter cap.  it would probably be more useful to have a low value resistor like 47 ohms in series with each of the 9V outputs which then isolates them from each other and can reduce noise, and you can then rely on the filter caps on the effects board.  The extra filter cap won't cause any problems, but it's probably unnecessary.

I do think this is a good idea for the parallel protection diode though.  I (almost) always omit them from the main board because they will blow up under reverse polarity without an inline fuse, but at least in this configuration, you have protected both effects against reverse polarity, and if it does happen and the diode blows, you only have to replace this small board rather than the effects.

Re: power filter/ protection

vick
thanks Mark that was exactly what I was looking for

so something like this

Re: power filter/ protection

Yep that looks good.