recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Sensei Tim
I've been using the AMZ mosfet boost for most applications but the problem with it is that when I turn the boost knob all the way down the output doesn't drop to 0.

Are there any good clean boosts out there that have a small circuit footprint that will completely mute the output at 0?   I don't want any extra knobs - just boost.

would the MXR Microamp be suitable for this?

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

balazs.bencs
What about the AMZ mini booster ? Not the mosfet version, the jfet version.

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Sensei Tim
i've heard that the mini booster colours the tone a bit?

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

The boosters with voltage divider master volume controls that go to zero tend to be less “transparent” by nature in a couple ways IMO

For one thing, the gain stage is always maxed out, so you usually have more distortion and noise at lower volume settings. The frequency response also usually changes when you adjust the volume control

A boost where you can control the gain level will pretty much always be preferable in terms of “transparency”

The madbean bacon bits probably gets my vote as the most transparent boost that I have built from this site

Are you planning on tacking this on the output of another circuit that isn’t as loud as you’d like?

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Sensei Tim
I'm going to be using it on the output of a 2 channel splitter (one on each channel).  I need it to go from mute to some level of boost above unity.

Instead of using a voltage divider on the output, what about a gain control that adjusts the feedback resistor to go from 0 to x times gain?

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

moda
Bjf baby pink booster. Love it. No colouring on my tone and a buffer built in. Gives my signal chain a nice zing.

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

moda
And i just realised you wanted one that mutes. Sorry

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Neil mcNasty
The Baby Pink Booster can also be wired for True Bypass.
Highly Recommended and Super Clean!

I also love mi AMZ Mini-Booster, but that is a dirty booster with a lot of colour!
Works magic with slightly overdriven tube amps!

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

nocentelli
Sensei Tim wrote
Instead of using a voltage divider on the output, what about a gain control that adjusts the feedback resistor to go from 0 to x times gain?
If you're talking op-amp based boost, a gain pot in the feedback loop will need to go from e.g. 100k to zero k: Problem is, a gain resistor of zero in the feedback loop gives a buffer (i.e. gain = 1) not a mute.

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Do you have space to add a footswitch or toggle to simply mute each channel individually? Maybe get a switched pot for each boost and use the switch to mute the channel when the knob is all the way down or something?

Other than that IMO it kinda depends how picky you are about transparency. If you are really picky then you may notice a change in sound from the splitter itself as well

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Sensei Tim
Ok I guess I’ll sacrifice a bit of colouring if it means being able to get the volume knob to cut the output at minimum value.

Re: recommend me a clean boost with a small footprint

Snare227
Earthquaker Devices Black Eye... very much like a SHO only the volume will turn all the way off.  Also, no crackle due to the master volume.  Small footprint too due to Rocket88's nice layout.  Give that one a shot.