shielded wire

kirshman
Where do you guys get your shielded wire from?   Preferably a u.s. source, but I'll order from over the ocean if I have to.

Re: shielded wire

Beaker
Kirshman, this is the stuff I use, Van Damme two core plus shield - though I have not bought it from this seller before. (I bought my last lot from Dr. Tweek, but his web shop has been closed for some time now.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Damme-Pro-Grade-Classic-XKE-1-Pair-Cable-10-colours-/131488091250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e9d4d0c72

£0.99 a metre that's about $1.50

They charge £10 (so $15)  postage for ONE metre, but only £10.90 ($16) for TEN metres. to the US.

I need to buy more, as I am almost out - I would be happy to buy extra, and mail it to you. Let me know.

Re: shielded wire

PEPPER!
Looks nice!  I'd also recommend McMaster-Carr as a great resource in the US for wire - they have EVERYTHING.  The one weird thing about them is shipping.  There is no calculator so you order stuff and you either request / wait for an email from a rep with the shipping cost or you just cross your fingers.  I've always done the latter and the charges are reasonable, even for odd stuff like 2 foot pieces of fiberglass.

Re: shielded wire

iggy
how much cable do you need?

i might be able to send you some to test.

Re: shielded wire

kirshman
Man, I love this group.  You guys are always so willing to help!  I found some wire at a local repair joint that they use for wiring switches on old, high gain humbuckers.   It looks like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-feet-braided-hookup-WIRE-shielded-4-Gibson-guitar-toggle-switch-wiring-60-/300906771983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460f70f60f  He said he bought a 1000 foot spool 10 years ago and still has a bunch left so he was gonna sell it to me pretty reasonably.  I'm not sure if it's exactly the same wire as in the auction, but it is 22awg with an external braid and cloth pushback, just like the auction.  Is this ok for pedals?

Re: shielded wire

Beaker
Why not? I've got loads of this stuff myself for guitar wiring, but never even thought to use it in a pedal.

It sure will work, the only downside that I can see is that peeling the braid is a bit of a faff, and trying to connect the braid to switch lugs, might be tricky due to it's bulk (not a problem when soldering the braid to the back of a guitar pot).

Re: shielded wire

iggy
you could use it, but i think you might be better served with a different type of cable. and i say that for two reasons. first that cable is probably fairly stiff. and may be difficult to get it into and getting it to stay in position. the second thing is you are going to ground that shield, but then you need to be very careful not to let the shield touch anything that shouldn't be grounded. or you'll short out.