stacking veros?

Jon the Art Guy
Bear with this dummy for a sec.

The basic premise IvIark and Mirisol work on is that all pedals have will fit in a 1590b with a little elbow room and a little diligence. There's been quite a few requests for larger effects circuits that can take up to 4 ICs and a handful of transistors and clipper diodes.

My question is whether it would be feasible to break some of these larger circuits into vero-able sections, and jumper to other boards like a daughter board...only just have another full-sized circuit layer on vero stacked on top of the first with standoffs, kind of like a circuit sandwich.

Re: stacking veros?

dexxyy
I think that would probably lend to more headaches trying to squeeze 2 veros into an enclosure, while Mark and Miro do fantastic layouts they also have their methods and rules as to how their circuits are laid out. The guys wont forgo their principals even if this means limitations on which circuits they produce, I for one love the way their circuits are laid out, but i don`t mind a layout with the odd standing resistor if it is the only way i can get the layout and these layouts are available elsewhere. If a circuit meets Mark and Miro`s criteria then that is the layout i`d prefer to build but if it doesn`t and it`s available elsewhere then it is only a matter of using someone elses layout.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: stacking veros?

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: stacking veros?

I don't mind doing veros that require larger boxes like the 1590BB, there are a few on the site like the Dr Boogie.  This is often the case when the effect has more than 4 pots where most people would want to use a larger box anyway.  My only problem is if because of the way I like to do layouts, such as including extra links to keep all axial components lying flat, the layout would end up much bigger than another layout then I don't know what value mine would add to the party.

Some more complex circuits lend themselves better to the layouts Sabro does for instance, because the standing components allow him to keep the final board size down.  In these sort of instances I just have a preference to forget vero and use a PCB where most of the time you will get a larger circuit into the smaller box.  A good example of this, Matt did a couple of PCBs for me a while ago including an Openhaus, and if I use 9mm pots that would fit quite easily into a 1590B whereas my layout would end up larger than Harald's.

It still isn't something set in stone for me, and if something was requested enough then I'd probably still end up doing it.  But I need to motivate myself a lot more to do it   Maybe when I have run down all the other schematics that I have in my to do lists, I'll move on to doing less frequent larger circuits, but I'll let that evolve as time goes on.

Re: stacking veros?

Jon the Art Guy
I'm sorry if I came off a little jerky about it; I like your size restraints and design basis, and I've been haunting ROG, Sabrotone and Revx2 for a bit too. :D

Part of my M.O. on building these is a possible artsy-fartsy angle to it, and I was thinking that breaking a circuit up into tiers and having...sort of a layer cake thing going. I've been super-into the dead bug and no-board builds I've been seeing on google images as well, where they make traces out of buss wire and have the circuit sort of floating there. Or encased in epoxy or carbonite.

My main aim in the question wasn't design alteration as much as circuit feasibility; would there be problems with feedback or grounding or.....magical elf-fart-based Boson formation collisions or something?

Re: stacking veros?

It would certainly be do-able.   In fact I saw a point to point Klon done with a couple of layers on a framework which looked awesome.  It would just take more planning to work out where to do the split but it could end up making things easier anyway by giving more connection points for pots and switches.

I still don't think you could get 2 layers in a 1590B, which would be just too shallow to accommodate the required depth, but it may be interesting for some really big circuits in the deep version of the 1590BB (1590C is it?) like Paul Cochrane used for the Tim.

Re: stacking veros?

Madferret
Try a Hammond 26908PSLA for this, 120x95x57 and for some reason it always work out cheaper than a 1590C.  You'd definitely fit a couple of layers into one of these (I've put a 3PDT in shot to give it scale).