starving a pedal

Olav
Any tips on how to go about starving an existing design? Me likey the dieing battery sound on some ods and fuzzes.

Re: starving a pedal

stringfellow_Hawke
Not much to this one. As long as you have room somewhere to squeeze another pot in the enclosure and it's in a spot that you don't mind drilling a hole for it you're golden. You just need to add the pot between the power jack and the circuit. I did one for a friend recently and I ended up putting the starve pot on the side of the enclosure so that it was out of the way.

Beavis Audio has a good, simple explanation of what you need to do.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

Re: starving a pedal

Olav
Thanks! See, this is the way I figured I'd do it, but I have a way of overcomplicating things in my mind to a point where I believe I can't do it. Of course a simple voltage divider will do. And why not build a dedicated starve/sagbox to which I can connect any pedal I'd like to starve?

Re: starving a pedal

Vince
A separate box is good idea too as you can slow modulation pedals down even further by starving them. People say Big Muffs sound far better starved and also Fuzz faces, which I like to build in the same box with a fuzz face.....

Re: starving a pedal

Olav
I'll try it with a couple modulation pedals too. Good stuff!