stupid question about buffers

boratto
Does buffers circuits can prevent some RF noise or oscillations, if internal wired in a pedal before a high gain circuit?

Re: stupid question about buffers

Yes I've heard a few people mention that they tamed oscillation in a high gain circuit by putting a buffer before it.  I'd say it's always worth having a buffer boxed up so you can test with any problem circuits you're building to see if it helps

Re: stupid question about buffers

Frank_NH
Here's my experience.  I had (have) an OCD build that squealed at max gain (someday when I'm bored I'll look at it again).  I noticed that the squealing went away when I put a buffered Boss pedal in front of it.  However, a generic buffer (like the Jack Orman JFET and op amp buffers that IvIark created veros for here) didn't eliminate the squealing.  I haven't tried either the Klon or the Cornish buffers - they might work better.

A lot of people say to use shielded cable for input and output lines to/from your pedal if it squeals.  I don't have any experience with that but it should help.  You only need to ground one end of the wire.

For RF noise, put a low value capacitor (100 pF) from the signal to ground at the input (in parallel with your 1 M anti-pop resistor).